S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Build Advice- Sport or LED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S6 Build Advice- Sport or LED?

Hi All,

I'm about to put in an order for a 2017 S6 that will replace my 2014 A6. I though you might help me with the decision process on optioning this build. Here's what I am planning to do:

Premium plus
black optics
Daytona gray
Driver assist package
Sport package

This is a company lease and originally I though I'd get the competition version of the A6 because I've always wanted those seats! And because a little more performance would be nice. As I've shopped around and run the lease numbers it turns out that it's not a huge jump to go from the competition A6 to a lightly equipped S6. But making the jump will stretch my budget so I want to keep it lightly option. Wifey insists on the driver assist package. So I figured I'd get everything above but with the LED lights and no sport package. But as I get close to pulling the trigger I am inclined to drop the LEDs in favor of the sport package. Really, to hit my monthly payment budget I should drop both the LEDs and the sport, but I think it's worth the stretch to squeeze the sport package in there.

What do you all think? Anyone feel like the lights are a deal breaker on this car?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a very similarly equipped car to what you're building. My advice:

1. DO NOT, whatever you do, drop the Sport Package. In my opinion, it is the most important option (for the exhaust note alone).

2. I would take the LED's over the Black Optics. I have LED's, but no black optics. Have the 20" wheels as I prefer the classier look (though I also do like the black optics).

3. Never use the term "wifey" again

Good luck ! You are definitely on the right track, the S6 is so worth it, even though the A6 competition is also an amazing car.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe negotiate hard and get the car you want with both options for the price / lease payments you want it at? Worth a try!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the sports package. It's a must.

LED is nice but I too came from a 14 A6 without it and although the DRLs look cool I don't notice a huge difference at night so if you're on a budget I'd skip that option.

Lastly, I don't have the BO package but I do have 20" wheels and those are a must for the looks alone. The car was designed for 20" and up IMO.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove a 2013 S6 with Xenon headlights until October, when I got a 2017 S6 with LEDs. I could see farther with the Xenons, and wish I had them back.

(Other than the headlights, everything about the 2017 S6 is better.)

Definitely get the Sport Package. I also love the Top View Camera System in the Driver Assist Package, and the ACC is nice to have, too.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjack
I drove a 2013 S6 with Xenon headlights until October, when I got a 2017 S6 with LEDs. I could see farther with the Xenons, and wish I had them back.

(Other than the headlights, everything about the 2017 S6 is better.)

Definitely get the Sport Package. I also love the Top View Camera System in the Driver Assist Package, and the ACC is nice to have, too.
I agree, my impression is with the xenons you can see further while the LEDs seem to shine wider and brighter but not as far.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your input. It's super helpful. I'm going in to place the order tomorrow and I plan to lock in the sport and driver assistance packages. I'll skip the LEDs this time around. I really should skip both the LED and and the sport package but I can stretch into one of them so I'll go for the sport package. Haha.

My experience with the xenons and LEDs is that the xenons are really very capable. Sure the LEDs look sweet, but the new style of xenons with the DRLs on top is a big improvement in the looks department. Also, I think you can use the vagcom cable to turn up the brightness of the DRL which should improve the looks too.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
Thanks for your input. It's super helpful. I'm going in to place the order tomorrow and I plan to lock in the sport and driver assistance packages. I'll skip the LEDs this time around. I really should skip both the LED and and the sport package but I can stretch into one of them so I'll go for the sport package. Haha.

My experience with the xenons and LEDs is that the xenons are really very capable. Sure the LEDs look sweet, but the new style of xenons with the DRLs on top is a big improvement in the looks department. Also, I think you can use the vagcom cable to turn up the brightness of the DRL which should improve the looks too.
Excellent choice. You will not regret not getting the LEDs but you would definitely regret not getting the sports package if you hadn't..
Old 12-29-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Silent Drone

It's funny, I'd have to go back and check my posts, but I was not Impressed with the LED's at all as well. I admit they are OK but I felt the HID's in my Ford gave me better lighting (Visibility). The difference is noticeable, and I'd say I got 10% better Visibility out of my HID's over the LED's. It does seem like the LED's "Look" better, and I seem to see cars better that have LED's. (it's easier to see them)

As for the Sport package; it is a Must (as was said) but I wanted to highlight the Dynamic Steering that is in the Sport Package. I was very surprised when the Audi dealership stuck me in a Q3 without Dynamic steering. I almost overshot turns at first because I had to put so much more turn into the steering (that I was not used to) It just surprised me. I made a mental note: MUST HAVE Dynamic steering in all future Audi's.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the input. It helped. I put the order in today including the sport package. I don't feel bad at all about leaving out the LEDs. As far as their performance is concerned, I don't see an advantage. As for looks, I think the current version of LEDs is marginally better looking than the current xenons but only marginally so. I think Audi nailed the aesthetics on the LEDs for the A7, but the A8 and A6 don't quite rise to that level. Maybe one day the Feds will let us have the cool tech stuff that Audi uses in the LED lights in Europe, and then there will be a more compelling case for them. But for now I'll pass. I'm super stoked about my build and think it's the best out there.

Now the long wait begins.

Quick Reply: S6 Build Advice- Sport or LED?