S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Shopping for my S6 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping for my S6 replacement

My 2014 S6 has served me well for 63,000 miles over 4.5 years. Time to move on. I am having a bit of a hard time deciding what to replace it with. The car is my DD, and does take a beating with the New England winters. What that means (for me), is that I don't want to spend huge $$$$. I want to keep it under $100k (not essential, but preferable).

I actually would have considered ordering a 2018 S6, but they dropped the B&O option, which I absolutely love. I need AWD and reasonable utility. While I love my S6 and would be happy with another, I think I would prefer something that feels a little tighter and drives a little smaller. The S6 does feel big to me.

My current top choices are the Macan GTS or the upcoming RS5 Sportback. Both new and built to spec. I would also consider a low mileage used car. Or...should I just wait for the next gen S6? I am also thinking about a loaded up S4. Smaller, more dynamic, and at a significant cost savings. Also, I have my Porsche for when I want epic driving thrills.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New ride

The Macan GTS is a good choice. I have driven two base Macan's as loaners, and I was impressed with the driving dynamics and overall comfort. Nice in tandem with your Cayman GTS. Mike
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be interested in others' responses, your observations, and conclusions as you proceed. I'll make a small contribution.

I'll start by saying I considered both A6 and S6 before and again, but they end up being larger than I like. I've also driven the S3 and find it fun but too small as a DD and weekend tripper. (It's a great weekend jog/short trip toy.) It would be nice to have one or two of each model but limits of garage, wife, and my sense of 'reason' prevail.

Generally I like our 2016 S4 a lot. I find it a really well balanced all around car. Substantial feel. Fun driver. Good combo DD and weekend tripper. Good for NEPA (NE) winter. Love the B&O sound system...etc etc. The main annoyance for me is its seats and driving view (re the dash, not the road)...but I've sorta managed/adjusted...and admit that I am the exception to the norm here so its a personal problem :-) So, given the statement you made, I suggest you give the S4 a good look (new or CPO).

I've lately been considering a purchase from among:
  • a Macan ...S/GTS;
  • a sport station wagon (still love this body form factor)...but not the Allroad (w/turbo 4) and Audi won't offer SAvants...so am also ogling other marques' wagons (M-B, Jag, or?)
  • or (shudder) the Alfa SUV thingy ("Stelvio")...but not the 'big' one, nice as it must be, as it's RWD only
  • and uh, recently added the A/5-S5 hatchback (which could be the dark horse now...but for us is probably too redundant long term).
So far by looking I've saved money but soon want to move on and swap out one or both other cars here.

I'll follow your quest as you proceed and hope to see the results and other's contributions in this general comparison space.

One final observation... car choices available these days are pretty amazing. It used to be simpler as I recall

Last edited by huskyz; 06-27-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To me the choice is easy, M5 all the way. Except for your price point of $100K (not substantially more IMO), it's a great fit. Better performance, AWD, good size, and unbelievably fast! I loved my last one and as soon as they start taking the massive depreciation hit, I'll probably get one again. Love my S6 in the meantime!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prachatice
To me the choice is easy, M5 all the way. Except for your price point of $100K (not substantially more IMO), it's a great fit. Better performance, AWD, good size, and unbelievably fast! I loved my last one and as soon as they start taking the massive depreciation hit, I'll probably get one again. Love my S6 in the meantime!
Although the M5 is amazing there’s a cheaper option that’s almost equally fast 99% of the time: M550 - and probably a more forgiving daily. However both the M5 and M550 are heavy and large, if not more so than the A6/S6.

I feel like the RS5 SB should be the perfect cruiser that’s still slightly more tossable and nimble than an S6. I’ve narrowed my choice down to the RS5/M550 for when my S6 lease is up. Also curious to hear everyone’s quests. Has anyone driven the new RS5 here? Or the M550? Been planning to test drive them, but had little time due to job/kids, curious to hear what people think about them.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hear you about the size of the 550 and M5 but the last gen M5 (F10) drove much smaller than it's size implied. Huge difference between the M5 and M550 though. I would urge you to drive both and you'll see. The M550 is a quicker 5 series that drives more like a cruiser. The M5 is an entirely different beast.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

I have been considering the RS5 sportback, since it is a little smaller (easier to park, in tiny spaces) and still has 4 doors.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prachatice
I hear you about the size of the 550 and M5 but the last gen M5 (F10) drove much smaller than it's size implied. Huge difference between the M5 and M550 though. I would urge you to drive both and you'll see. The M550 is a quicker 5 series that drives more like a cruiser. The M5 is an entirely different beast.
No, I actually haven’t driven any M5, I just figured it couldn’t be too far off an S6 but you’re probably right since the M5 is a one step up and would be more in the league of RS6/7.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
My 2014 S6 has served me well for 63,000 miles over 4.5 years. Time to move on. I am having a bit of a hard time deciding what to replace it with. The car is my DD, and does take a beating with the New England winters. What that means (for me), is that I don't want to spend huge $$$$. I want to keep it under $100k (not essential, but preferable).

I actually would have considered ordering a 2018 S6, but they dropped the B&O option, which I absolutely love. I need AWD and reasonable utility. While I love my S6 and would be happy with another, I think I would prefer something that feels a little tighter and drives a little smaller. The S6 does feel big to me.

My current top choices are the Macan GTS or the upcoming RS5 Sportback. Both new and built to spec. I would also consider a low mileage used car. Or...should I just wait for the next gen S6? I am also thinking about a loaded up S4. Smaller, more dynamic, and at a significant cost savings. Also, I have my Porsche for when I want epic driving thrills.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks
What about the 8-series or the 911? Those are the two I'm considering as a replacement for my '16 S6.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
What about the 8-series or the 911? Those are the two I'm considering as a replacement for my '16 S6.
Not enough utility. I have my Cayman as a toy.

Quick Reply: Shopping for my S6 replacement