S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Streaming Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streaming Entertainment

Hi Guys,

Inspired by the post "Apple TV, Tech Mods, and More" in the A6 (C6) subforum (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845985). I decided to try my own setup for streaming entertainment tv in my 2013 S6.

Components:
Roku 2 XD - $79.99 (alternatives: Roku 3, Apple TV)
AMI A/V Composite Cable - $0 from dealer (Red, White, Yellow cable)
5V/1A Car Adapter/Power Inverter - $9.79 Radioshack

Steps:
1) Roku box comes with A/V cable that plugs right into the AMI A/V Composite Cable.
2) Either use an inverter + power cable that comes with Roku, or go to Radioshack and buy a direct Car Adapter that outputs 5V/1A
3) Turn on car, select media, Roku will boot up, very easy and intuitive walkthrough that will use the internet through Audi Connect Wireless
4) You are streaming Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Disney (+600 other channels) in about 30 minutes.

Notes:
- Output through A/V composite cable is 480p (very clear on MMI screen)
- 3G connection is fast enough, takes 30 seconds on Netflix to start a movie, no buffering or stopping during trip

ENJOY!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Space Considerations

Additional information:
Whole setup fits in the bottom compartment of the middle armrest/console. The Roku is lighter than your phone, and the size of the palm of your hand
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!

I just want to double check...
Since newer model (MMI 3G+ (connect)) supports/has "AMI A/V Composite cable", we can basically stream everything we want to the car just as a video output?

We can put everything we want if it has a video output (Roku/Apple TV...etc)?
We don't need to disassemble the car and gain access to the dvd unit like the post from Audiapple in C6 forum?

Thanks!

Can you post some pictures as well
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blow352
Hi Guys,

Inspired by the post "Apple TV, Tech Mods, and More" in the A6 (C6) subforum (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845985). I decided to try my own setup for streaming entertainment tv in my 2013 S6.

Components:
Roku 2 XD - $79.99 (alternatives: Roku 3, Apple TV)
AMI A/V Composite Cable - $0 from dealer (Red, White, Yellow cable)
5V/1A Car Adapter/Power Inverter - $9.79 Radioshack

Steps:
1) Roku box comes with A/V cable that plugs right into the AMI A/V Composite Cable.
2) Either use an inverter + power cable that comes with Roku, or go to Radioshack and buy a direct Car Adapter that outputs 5V/1A
3) Turn on car, select media, Roku will boot up, very easy and intuitive walkthrough that will use the internet through Audi Connect Wireless
4) You are streaming Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Disney (+600 other channels) in about 30 minutes.

Notes:
- Output through A/V composite cable is 480p (very clear on MMI screen)
- 3G connection is fast enough, takes 30 seconds on Netflix to start a movie, no buffering or stopping during trip

ENJOY!
wow x2 on pics please!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sunnyp1227
Awesome!

I just want to double check...
Since newer model (MMI 3G+ (connect)) supports/has "AMI A/V Composite cable", we can basically stream everything we want to the car just as a video output?

We can put everything we want if it has a video output (Roku/Apple TV...etc)?
We don't need to disassemble the car and gain access to the dvd unit like the post from Audiapple in C6 forum?

Thanks!

Can you post some pictures as well
Yes. The MMI 3G+ supports AMI A/V so you can stream everything you want to the car as video output through any device. NO disassembling.

Things to be aware of:
1) Roku 2XD and Apple TV comes with a regular IR remote in the box (meaning you have to point it at the unit for it to respond). You will have to open up the center console where the unit is stored to select functions.
2) Roku 2XS and Roku 3 comes with the RF/bluetooth gaming remote (meaning you can point it anywhere in the car and the unit will respond). The RF/bluetooth "gaming" remote is also compatible with the Roku XD, but have to order separately
3) Apple TV (2013 = 3rd generation) and Roku 3 only have HDMI outputs (which is DIGITAL). MMI/AMI only allows ANALOG input through the A/V cable. So you will need to include a HDMI to A/V converter in the series. If you choose those, your setup will be: power adapter -> Roku 3/Apple TV -> HDMI output -> HDMI/AV converter -> A/V Output -> MMI A/V cable. (For reference my setup is like this: Car power adapter -> Roku 2XD -> A/V output -> MMI A/V cable)
4) There are no compatible RF/bluetooth remotes with Apple TV. You will always have to open up the center console to control the unit if you choose to go Apple TV.
5) Both Apple TV and Roku have remote control apps for your smartphone. You may also control your unit via your smartphone. However, this connection is not always reliable since it uses the wifi in the car to send its signal
6) In the pictures below. The remote on the left is the normal IR remote. The remote on the right is the gaming RF/bluetooth remote
Attached Images      
Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The pictures I uploaded show the OLD interface. Below is the NEW interface that comes stock on the Roku 3 and will be pushed (updated) to ALL Roku 2 devices by May 20th.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This may be self-explanatory but I have the Vagcom mod for video-in-motion. I make weekly drives Chicago <-> Cleveland, and thus the necessity for this setup
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by blow352
This may be self-explanatory but I have the Vagcom mod for video-in-motion. I make weekly drives Chicago <-> Cleveland, and thus the necessity for this setup
Nice setup, though I hope you're not watching movies while driving on the interstate (unless you're the passenger, of course). I have VIM but limit to playing music videos from my iPhone for listening only. Even then, it can be very tempting to let your eyes wander to the screen a bit too often.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to order a AMI A/V cable and I am planning to get a Google TV box to put in my car

The Google TV buddy boxes out there in the market all seem to have bluetooth remote control.
Plus, you can open Chrome browser, Youtube with their QWERT remote control (also come with touchpad)!

Sounds like a better choice over Roku/Apple TV to me.
I believe it can also install apps from the Google Play (If so, I am going to put the weather widget on the home screen!)
And FB notification center...etc maybe?

Can't wait!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sunnyp1227
I am going to order a AMI A/V cable and I am planning to get a Google TV box to put in my car

The Google TV buddy boxes out there in the market all seem to have bluetooth remote control.
Plus, you can open Chrome browser, Youtube with their QWERT remote control (also come with touchpad)!

Sounds like a better choice over Roku/Apple TV to me.
I believe it can also install apps from the Google Play (If so, I am going to put the weather widget on the home screen!)
And FB notification center...etc maybe?

Can't wait!
I'm glad you're interested in setting up something similar to mine!

Few pointers though:
1) Roku/Apple TV has Facebook, Youtube, Weather, etc.
2) Apple TV has Airplay, Roku has PLEX so you can mirror your games on the MMI screen
2) Roku/Apple TV has small elegant remotes that fit in the palm of your hand. Google TV QWERTY/Touchpad remotes are HUGE!
3) Google TV units that I've looked into (Netgear NeoTV, Vizio Costar, Hi-sense plus) only have HDMI output. That means you need an HDMI to A/V converter. This is NOT a simple cord. A digital to analog signal converter unit tends to be fairly large and has to be powered.
4) If you're the driver..reasonably when will you be able to interact with the unit? I only stream on my long drives and as snagitseven said it is very distracting, and dangerous. I never run the unit in the city, only when I'm on the straight and empty interstates.

With that in mind, best of luck!

Quick Reply: Streaming Entertainment