S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Wheels & tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
Look at the Hakka R2, great tire. tiresbyweb.com has real good prices. I have mine mounted on Verde Parallax19" on my D4 A8. Comfortable riding!
Just got them installed on my S6 with some cheap 19" RTX rep wheels. My wife also runs R2SUV on her MKT for the last 3 years. Great tires

Old 10-28-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My winter wheel set is:
Part Number: 4G0-071-499-D -8Z8Diameter: 19"Size: 235/45 R19 99V XL
(audiwinter.ca)

The narrower tire works better in snow. The tires I got - ContiWinterContact™ TS 830 P seems to handle really nice and are actually quieter than the summer performance Pirellis I got with the car. I would easily recommend that setup.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied!
I just received Konig Interform IF89512326 rims (19x8.5, 32mm offset), hub centering rings and a set of bolts.
https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-...els/interform/
Considering Michelin X-ICE 245/40R19:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=WinterSection
Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some opinions

2018 S6, 20" Black Optics with the summers still on. Located in North Jersey.
I travel for a living and work from home when I don't. No commuting. Most likely I will not need to take the car out during or after a snow storm (we have another car) and am aware of the reduced grip at or below freezing temps. Will I be OK through a NJ/ NY winter with leaving the summers on? Or is it really that unsafe running around with summers on below freezing?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't use summer tires in cold weather!

Originally Posted by Blackhawk123
I travel for a living and work from home when I don't. No commuting. Most likely I will not need to take the car out during or after a snow storm (we have another car) and am aware of the reduced grip at or below freezing temps. Will I be OK through a NJ/ NY winter with leaving the summers on? Or is it really that unsafe running around with summers on below freezing?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Even when there is no snow or ice, just a dry cold day, you (and I, in Upstate NY) will be driving on hockey pucks. Summer tires are rock hard at below 40F, and can't guarantee safe handling.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am in central NJ. I think its unsafe to leave the summer tires on when it gets below freezing. Actually, they start to turn to stone below 40 deg F, provide little grip and would be a disaster on ice or light snow. I recommend winter tires - I use Michelin Artic Alpin PA4, which rides most similar to summer tires. Or you could just buy all season tires and use the year round. There are a few good choices. I have an extra set of wheels with the winter tires. I would be amazed if you don't bend a wheel on a pothole - it doesn't take much. While the dealer ordered a wheel, I was able to use a wheel from my other set of tires. Very handy.

Originally Posted by ZodiacPhoto
Even when there is no snow or ice, just a dry cold day, you (and I, in Upstate NY) will be driving on hockey pucks. Summer tires are rock hard at below 40F, and can't guarantee safe handling.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my car just before Thanksgiving two years ago. I had a six hour drive at night in 40*-45*F temperatures on summer tires. I didn't feel any loose handling but I wasn't testing any limits either. I definitely wouldn't want to drive on any snow with them.

I don't know about below freezing temperatures. Take it out on a dry day and see for yourself. Find an empty parking lot and try a few hard stops and tight turns.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On an M3 I had previously, I ran Continental summer tires year round including winter temps in the 20s. I had another car to use when there was snow/ice/slush on the ground and I would never advise using summer tires in those conditions. I thought the car was fine on summer tires in cold and dry conditions as long as you don't push it to 100%. The thing is - even if you get dedicated winter tires you're not going to go all out anyway since they're not made for handling and can get really squirmy.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thank you for all your replies

Noticed the car rides a little harsher when it's colder but didn't realize summers will stiffen as much as you guys describe.
I do want to have this beast an all weather beast so went ahead and ordered Contis Extremecontact DWS (all seasons) from Tire Rack and have an appointment at dealer to have them installed Monday.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Blackhawk123; 11-30-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noticed the car rides a little harsher when it's colder but didn't realize summers will stiffen as much as you guys describe.
I do want to have this beast an all weather beast so went ahead and ordered Contis Extremecontact DWS (all seasons) from Tire Rack and have an appointment at dealer to have them installed Monday.

Thanks again!
I did the same (Conti Extremecontact DWS06) on my 2017 S6 and have been very happy with them. They also seem to ride much quieter than than P Zeros that came on the car. I also did the DWS on my earlier S4 and kept them on for the duration of the time I had the car.

Quick Reply: Wheels & tires