S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Winter Setup Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tubby116
So did you need any spacers or adjustment done to these tires and wheels? It doesnt rub on anything right im guessing the calibers cleared in the front ?
I did not need to add spacers to the car, and there is no rubbing at all, I drove about 1500 miles on them already.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
D Patel95,

Hey man, I just C&P'ed this from the Winter tire thread. Special Thanks to Saxon, he linked an AMAZING option for wheels at an unbeatable price ($595 all 4 Wheels, Free Shipping). I went a bit higher end on the tires, and so far I'm very impressed, and happy. The higher sidewall of course makes the ride so much more wallowed.

Well I went ahead and purchased my Winter set-up:

Tires:
MICHELIN
PILOT ALPIN PA4

Wheels:
https://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-...nmetal-wheels/

Thanks to everyone who posted info!! Now I just need to see if the center caps are the Audi Replica caps or not. I'll Let you guys know how I feel about the setup, etc.

As Spring arrives I figured I'd report back as to how the "made in China" wheels did. I actually detailed my car yesterday (post winter detail) I inspected the wheels and tires, I had no issues with the tires at all, they were great all winter long. Good traction in all winter driving conditions, nice comfortable ride, and confidence that they'd swallow the potholes with out issue.

The Wheels however have some interesting pitting that formed at the edges of the wheel spokes. The front passengers side and the rear drivers side have it happening. It's not curb rash, or contact damage. It's some sort of corrosion, or salt damage. I tried cleaning it off with clay compound, and a wax cleaner, but it's actual invasive damage. It's too bad because the other two wheels are 100% perfect, still look newish.

So I guess you get what you pay for...
Here's 2 pics
Attached Thumbnails Winter Setup Help!-20170410_083032.jpg   Winter Setup Help!-20170410_083047.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Mike, that looks like the clear coat is starting to lift.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
The Wheels however have some interesting pitting that formed at the edges of the wheel spokes. The front passengers side and the rear drivers side have it happening. It's not curb rash, or contact damage. It's some sort of corrosion, or salt damage. I tried cleaning it off with clay compound, and a wax cleaner, but it's actual invasive damage. It's too bad because the other two wheels are 100% perfect, still look newish.
I saw on Wheeler Dealers how they paint wheels then put them in a lathe and turn down the surface. After the machining, they spray the wheel with clear coat. The sharp edges are not as thick, dirt hits it and water gets under the clear to corrode the aluminum.

Not much you can do to repair the present damage. You can apply more clear coat to stop the bleeding and prevent the same damage on your two good wheels. You could also paint them.

I had a aluminum fuel door on my last car and it did the same thing. I used a wire brush to clean it up and then painted it the body color when it appeared again.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure how concerned I am about it, or how concerned I should be. It's just cheap wheels that I knew where a little bit of a gamble. They are just the winter driving set up and I'm not even sure it would be worth it to do too much to them, to fix that.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dropped off one of my Summer wheels (authentic Audi) for repair, it has a scratch. Out of curiosity I asked how easy it would be to repair that damage, and the guy seemed really experienced, he said that it's not worth paying to have them re finished.

I Guess I would mentioned to anyone interested in buying these wheels from USARIM or one of their sister-companies, to have a local body shop apply another good clear coat all of the wheel. If I knew that in the first place I would have had that done. (Assuming the cost is relatively cheap)

As I look at the damage, knowing that I'm a Grandpa-Driver, and I literally have mental issues with detailing my car, washing it throughout the winter as well, etc. It's been bothering me a bit regardless of the price that the finish is peeling after 4 months of use. I went back and checked all of the USA RIM info, and I remembered why I felt fairly confident in purchasing from them, they did spin a nice package (even though we all know it's cheap made in china stuff). Here is their quality and warranty guarantee information...

Warranty

Our lifetime structural warranty covers all wheels with factory imperfections only. Any damages, bends or cracks due to hitting a pothole, curb or any other method is not covered. All warranty must be submitted with an “expert” opinion from your wheel/tire shop stating that the wheels cracked by itself without damage done by the user. All finish warranty is valid within 1 year from the date of purchase and is only valid within normal use in fair weather conditions. Finish warranty is not valid on any wheel that are used in a salt and snow environment. Caps or Emblems does NOT have ANY Warranty and are AS IS.

Our Commitment to Quality

We guarantee our products to be the same high quality as your factory wheels. We manufacture our wheels in several OEM approved factories throughout Asia. Each wheel endures a vigorous 16-step testing process including:
  • Underwater testing for holes and other structural defects
  • X-ray testing for cracks and imperfections
  • Radial fatigue testing to determine the structural performance of a wheel for normal highway use
  • Spectrometer testing to uncover weak areas in the wheel’s structure
Our wheels are TUV, ISO and JWL certified and have passed every necessary safety requirement your vehicle manufacturer has set forth, guaranteed.

I'm going to contact them, and nicely ask if they'd help me out a little.
I'll report back.

Last edited by MikeS6; 04-18-2017 at 04:15 AM.