possible move to SLC questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default agreed! i think it takes realization that while you may have been in the majority in the east...

you are likely not in the majority here due to the presence of the LDS church and the overwhelming conservatitive lean. I don't fit either mold and my lifestyle hasn't changed a bit. I am still an atheistic liberal. There I said it!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 PM

Default If and when you do move up here...Let me be the first to welcome you to MOMO-VILLE!

Move to near the University...as one of the AWers suggested...its much more liberal...atleast compared to the rest of Utah..

If you do not know what MOMO means you will quickly learn after you "try" to interact with the community up here...quite different...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well from my point of view from only living here, where else can you be 4 hours from the desert and

half an hour from a whole lot of ski resorts? I guess it depends on what you are into as well. As far as alcohol goes, I don't drink much but I have never seen any access problem, I think it is the whole 'have to be a member' thing that weirds people out.

Good places to live are pretty much any address that has East in it. The city is (mostly) laid out like a graph centered on Temple Square. For instance, our shop is on 396 East 2100 South; that makes it roughly 4 blocks East of of the road that leads to Temple Square and 21 blocks South of the same.

Housing costs aren't that bad either from what I hear about the rest of the country, I would consider buying as soon as you are certain you will stay here because I have a feeling the market isn't going to go down for a while.

As far as Mormons go, who cares? Go South and you will have a majority Southern Babtists and East many Catholics and Protestants. You will most likely find a dominate religion anywhere you go in the world. And SLC isn't as impacted as much as the Provo area as far as scrapbooking stores and video stores that carry edited movies (yeah, I know, it's that bad).

There are a few shops in town, mostly regular repair but I know our shop probably carries the most (good) aftermarket stuff for your car then anyone else in Salt Lake. Plus I drive an S4 too! But I also encourage people to work on their cars themselves if they want to as well.

Any other questions feel free to ask, somebody will know the answer.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default LDS people expect you to run by their rules and the state is run by the CHURCH

SLC is the least populated place for mormans as lots on non-followers live here but its still you feel their presence when live here, not as much when I visited Utah but living here you see a church on every few blocks and get looks from LDS when your not doing what they believe in, they take their church stuff way over board.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is no reason NOT to Move here but you just need to understand how it really works!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks everyone. gotta love AW

Only on AW could I ask questions that are so varied, and get solid answers. Thanks to all. If I decide to come out for an interview, I'm sure that I will have more questions.
I'm not to worried about fitting in with the locals. Maine is the worst about that. Being from ''away'', made me an instant outsider up here. Even though I spent time yanking hurt Mainers off mountains and the water, I wasn't born here, so my thoughts didn't matter. I would be happy to spend my winters knee deep in powder, and summers playing golf, fishing, and maybe playing at MMP. I spent 10 years or so in Florida...not sure I could go back to the heat and humidity. If it works out that I end up in SLC, I'll make sure I bring you guys some decent beer. Thanks again. Lane