A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 to D3

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default D4 to D3

Well, picking up my CL600 didn't go as planned. It's misfiring like it did the first time it got looked at, and is back in the third party shop used by the dealer. Here's hoping I can get them to cover it, given it was an issue supposedly solved before I had bought it.

Anyway, my brother loaned me his A8 as a reliable means of getting back to Maryland, and I thought I would observe the differences coming from my D4. So, I noted the D3 drives a little more comfort based, with a lighter steering feel and greater isolation. The D4 feels more sporting, with extra power on tap, and a tad more engine noise. Handling is also improved in the D4. However, during normal driving, I found the D3 to be equal, with plenty of low end to make day to day maneuvers easy.

The lack of tech isn't bad, with the adaptive cruise control and massaging seats less common and less effective than in the D4, but these aren't alone worth the added cost. The Bose in the D3 is good, better than in the D4 by a small margin thanks to additional bass. The MMI is a bit more cumbersome, without the handy touchpad.

Overall, the extra $20k or so to get the D4 is a hard sell. You get prestige and some nice features, but moving up to one is more about being able to do it painlessly than any logical reason. The D3 is really just as comfortable, and not far behind dynamically(power and transmission is the biggest reason it lags.) So those lamenting not having the latest and greatest, don't worry. Yes, they are nice, but so is the D3.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you didn't waste any time detailing it back out after a 700 mile road trip lol
Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice car!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MiMitch
you didn't waste any time detailing it back out after a 700 mile road trip lol
No I don't. I knew it'd bug me until it was back in spec, so it's best not to wait.

Originally Posted by mishar
Nice car!
Yes it is. It has some good non-stock features someone was nice enough to install, too.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

The D4 is gone? You bought a CL? Glutton for punishment are you LOL. Have any pics you'd like to share?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
The D4 is gone? You bought a CL? Glutton for punishment are you LOL. Have any pics you'd like to share?
I still have his CL up here in Michigan, had some issues that need working out before it's good to drive home to Maryland (they didn't pop up till he was here to pick it up)..... We aren't sure on the maintenance history of grandmas olds 88, so figured it would be better off for him to take Mishas old gal home and I'll drive grandmas car locally for a bit till I have faith enough in the CL to road trip and swap cars back

I'm sure he'll have plenty of pics when it gets home though, its cleaner than most 12 year old cars on the road, and pretty fun to drive. With 500 hp and 600 ft/lbs, it's a serious sleeper at a stop light! Poor kids in Hondas don't see it coming
Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the CL, nothing matches it's power for the money. The horror stories I hear about repairs scares the daylights out of me from a friend working at a dealer.

Nevermind the poor kids in Hondas, the adults in new Mustangs must get a shock lol
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the CL, nothing matches it's power for the money. The horror stories I hear about repairs scares the daylights out of me from a friend working at a dealer.

Nevermind the poor kids in Hondas, the adults in new Mustangs must get a shock lol
havent had one of those.... yet, but the look on a kids face in an eclipse made our dad almost pee himself with laughter during the test drive
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

CL600 vs 850ci Drag race Topgear - YouTube
I can share the dealer pictures. I have different rims to put on it, but otherwise this is it. It looks great in person! At 52,000 miles, it looks excellent.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's one beautiful example you nabbed. Love the green. Are you still going to stick around here and share your ownership experiences with it?

Quick Reply: D4 to D3