Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Key Fobs and Two drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Key Fobs and Two drivers

Ok, someone help me here. My wife is the weekday driver and I am the weekend driver of the Q7. We each have our own FOB (she has the one with the 3 metal buttons, me with the 2 metal/1 plastic button).

When I took delivery of the Q on Monday I used my key to unlock the car, do the settings like pair my phone, set presets, do the drivers assist settings, etc. Drove the car again briefly on Tuesday and all seemed ok. On Wednesday evening we get in the car with my wife's key and redo settings to her wishes (her first time driving the vehicle). I walk her through the features, settings to her taste, add some radio presets, sync her phone etc, and off she goes.

Yesterday (Friday) I get in the car with my fob and guess what? Her presets are on the radio, my phone is not pairing. Then when she gets in the car as a passenger, her phone pairs right away. I am not even on the list. I have no clue what other settings aren't saved or have defaulted to hers!

Anyway, maybe I'm not doing this right. I think for the most part our driver assist settings were similar, but what will really bother me is the phone and preset radio issue (seats seemed to adjust fine), and interior lights. I dont want pink when I get in the car!!! LOL

Any advice appreciated
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

bump^^
Old 04-30-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

This is what the manual says:

If two people use one vehicle, it is recommended that each person always uses "their own" master key. When the ignition is switched off or when the vehicle is locked, personal convenience settings for some systems are stored and assigned to the remote control key.
The stored settings are automatically recalled when you unlock the vehicle, open the doors or turn on the ignition.
But in my experience, just switching off the ignition doesn't always store stuff and/or open doors and turning on ignition doesn't always recall. Locking/unlocking seems to be more reliable. Also, it seems to sometimes take a couple cycles of lock/unlock to get it to remember.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there's also a setting in the MMI to tell it to remember individual key settings.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go, pretty sure I had to turn this on when I got my car:

Key Fobs and Two drivers-photo917.jpg