Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car locks too quickly

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What is this "car doors lock automatically" stuff? I never lock my car in my garage and it always stays unlocked. All the time.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what happened in the OP's case - but under normal circumstances if you get out of the car & walk away without locking it (i.e.: in the garage) when you come back it will still be unlocked. If you lock it, either with the fob or touching a handle & then unlock it you have to pretty much immediately open (& reclose) a door, otherwise it will eventually relock. Once you've opened & closed a door, it will stay unlocked.
Not trying to restate the obvious - but just trying to help someone who isn't used to this thing's idiosyncrasies.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Not sure what happened in the OP's case - but under normal circumstances if you get out of the car & walk away without locking it (i.e.: in the garage) when you come back it will still be unlocked. If you lock it, either with the fob or touching a handle & then unlock it you have to pretty much immediately open (& reclose) a door, otherwise it will eventually relock. Once you've opened & closed a door, it will stay unlocked.
Not trying to restate the obvious - but just trying to help someone who isn't used to this thing's idiosyncrasies.
That's typical of any car these days in my experience.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

If you lock it, either with the fob or touching a handle & then unlock it you have to pretty much immediately open (& reclose) a door, otherwise it will eventually relock. Once you've opened & closed a door, it will stay unlocked.
So in this case (taking a logical approach here), it could be possible that the ECU is not registering the door open. It's still assuming that someone has unlocked the door but not opened it, and therefore it locks it automatically.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! Wasnt obvious to me at all!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by F30guy
Yes she left her bag in the car with the keyfob, went back into the house to get another item then when she came out it was locked....
A somewhat similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago with my '15 Q7. (Opened back door, threw in my bag with keyfob and phone in a pocket... shut back door... *maybe* hit the black button on the door handle when closing back door... heard a 'beep' as I went to open front door, and was locked out.) I have tried to lock the fob in the car since, and cannot replicate.

My only thought/suggestion is whether the keyfob and her cell phone were 'side by side'. I have a theory (maybe I've even heard other stories here) that cell phone (bluetooth?) can cause an interference.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 06-07-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
This happened to me a couple of months ago with my '15 Q7. I have tried to lock the fob in the car since, and cannot replicate.

My only thought/suggestion is whether the keyfob and her cell phone were 'side by side'. I have a theory (maybe I've even heard other stories here) that cell phone (bluetooth?) can cause an interference.
As stated above, the car should have registered the door open event. Should not attempt to lock the doors once door open event occurred. It seems to be universal for most German brands. The only time the doors should re-lock automatically is when you hit unlock on the fob, but NEVER actually open the door - safety feature to prevent theft.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From page 37 of the manual:

Most likely cause of the OP problem is no signal to ECU that the door was open. Best way to test it is to unlock the door, wait 45/60 sec. see if the doors will re-lock. Repeat, but this time open and close driver door (do not lock) and see if the car will re-lock automatically after 45/60 sec. Rinse and repeat for other doors.

Last edited by gsobol; 06-07-2017 at 07:35 AM.