Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking system camera view option not sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Parking system camera view option not sticking

I just took delivery of a 2018 Q7 Prestige a few days ago (replaced a '12 Q7 TDI that got bought back &#129297 and have a question about the parking aid. It's cool to have the camera view on the right side of the MMI. I selected that option in the MMI, and it holds that setting for a little while, but after the car sits a while and is restarted, it goes back to the "Graphic" view.
I'm talking about the view on the right side, like this:

That overhead, camera-based view is selected here:

But after a restart, it goes back to "graphic":

Is that normal? Is there a way to make it stick? I do have VCDS so can change something there if needed, but I am a rookie with that so I have no idea what to do unless someone gives the exact coding to input.

Thanks Albert
Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Is that normal? Is there a way to make it stick? I do have VCDS so can change something there if needed, but I am a rookie with that so I have no idea what to do unless someone gives the exact coding to input.
No, thats not normal. It should stay as "Camera" once selected.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sr007
No, thats not normal. It should stay as "Camera" once selected.
Thanks. I thought it did the first day, but wasn't sticking today.

I'm try rebooting the MMI... but wasn't to confirm that doing a reboot won't erase any settings, right?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is being discussed in a different thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2930598/page4/
Old 09-24-2017, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I thought it did the first day, but wasn't sticking today.

I'm try rebooting the MMI... but wasn't to confirm that doing a reboot won't erase any settings, right?
Any settings will only be lost once it is reset to factory settings. Rebooting should not erase anything.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jaywagenaar
This is being discussed in a different thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2930598/page4/
Oops, thanks for the link. I tried looking before posting but was on my phone and didn't see that thread. Bummer that it's a widespread problem with no solution so far. I'll follow that thread for a potential solution.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Audi describes bug and work-around

This has just been sent to me from Audi in Germany:

"This concern is being investigated and will involve a SW update to correct. This concern occurs when the automatic Park Distance Control is activated and the forward view is displayed, (always a graphic view on right side of MMI) and then the vehicle being shut off. After a sleep cycle, the MMI stores the graphic view in memory. This also causes the setting in the MMI to change from camera to graphic view. To avoid this from happening, the customer would have to select reverse gear before shutting off the vehicle to force the overhead camera view to be displayed and incidentally stored in memory each time the vehicle is shut off during a PDC event. Make sure the setting in the MMI is set to camera before releasing the vehicle and advise the customer of the current operation and how to avoid the concern."

Audi advises there is no current time line for the SW solution for this concern at this time. Software can take 6 months or more to develop and release.

I'm going to try what they suggest now that they've described what the bug is and how it is triggered.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Oops, thanks for the link. I tried looking before posting but was on my phone and didn't see that thread. Bummer that it's a widespread problem with no solution so far. I'll follow that thread for a potential solution.
I'm sure you do, but worth asking...do you lock your car with the fob after you set the camera view and get out of the car? I've noticed a lot of settings on save once you lock the car with the fob
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm sure you do, but worth asking...do you lock your car with the fob after you set the camera view and get out of the car? I've noticed a lot of settings on save once you lock the car with the fob
Please see just above -- Audi has acknowledge the problem, and describes what to do to prevent it. Essentially just throw your car into reverse gear, then turn it off when parking. That will ensure that the camera view on the right third is the last one the system has before it writes the settings when the MMI goes into sleep.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Please see just above -- Audi has acknowledge the problem, and describes what to do to prevent it. Essentially just throw your car into reverse gear, then turn it off when parking. That will ensure that the camera view on the right third is the last one the system has before it writes the settings when the MMI goes into sleep.
To be clear, if your car is in reverse gear when you hit the power off button on the car, the transmission will select PARK automatically.

Quick Reply: Parking system camera view option not sticking