Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by VanDamme
Started in the front one first... PAUSE... Pulled the driver side cover to find the fuse panel and what I found was more of a dongle. I can remove the housing and found an empty holder that seems to get constant power with the car turned off. Problem is it has a pink fuse cover(?) that covers all of the fuses, and I can't figure out how to remove it. The manual says that you can just remove it and throw it away, but it seems like I would break the assembly trying to remove it... Any ideas? Just break it off and move on?
Are you talking about this fuse retainer clip?

If so, you can just pull it out and it won't break. Pull on one end or the other. It helps if you have a hook tool.

After you install a fuse tap in the fuse block, the retainer clip won't fit anymore, so you will probably just end up throwing it away.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got my front camera installed today. I mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror because (1) easier wire run down to the fuse panel, (2) my radar detector is already just to the right of the rear view mirror, and (3) easier access to camera control buttons and display.

To run the power wire down to the fuse panel, I did the following:

1) Tuck the wire under the front of the headliner at the top of the windshield. The combination of a plastic pry tool and a hook tool made this fairly easy. The headliner will pull out far enough at its edge to slip the wire in without having to remove anything.

2) At the point the headliner interfaces with the A-post trim, run the wire horizontally between the headliner and the top of the A-post trim to reach the rubber door seal. The hook tool can be used to pull the A-post trim out a little bit to get the wire behind it.

3) Run the wire behind the rubber door seal between the seal and the A-post trim. It will slip slightly behind the A-post trim. This should avoid any interference with the air bag. See below:

4) Remove the fuse panel cover from the end of the dashboard.

5) At the level of the top fuse panel cover, there is a horizontal interface between the A-post trim and a trim piece that fits between the door frame and the fuse panel cover. The wire can be routed from rubber trim to the fuse panel area by slipping it into this horizontal interface. However, it is probably easier to remove the trim piece. The trim piece is removed by pulling it out at the bottom, then sliding downward to unclip it at the top. (See below). To reinstall it, slip the upper prong into the slot, then engage the lower clip. It is a little tricky to get the lower clip engaged and requires slipping a screwdriver behind the trim to align the clip in the slot.

6) Now the power wire is routed to the fuse panel area. All that is left is to attach the power wire to the voltage cut off board, and wire the voltage cutoff board to one of the fuses using a fuse tap, and to ground.

Parts:

Rexing Hard Wire Kit Mini-USB Port

DC12V Battery Charging Controller Protection Module Low Voltage Cut off Switch

Next up, rear facing camera on the hatch lid.

Last edited by RickObe; 11-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (10-16-2020)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all these pictures, I thought you were removing the A Pillar trim, so you actually tucked it in there.
Which fuse tap did you buy?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Thanks for all these pictures, I thought you were removing the A Pillar trim, so you actually tucked it in there.
Which fuse tap did you buy?
Nope, didn't need to remove the A-pillar trim which is a good thing since the airbag is in there; I really didn't want to mess with it. You could conceivably run it down the windshield side of the A-post trim, but I thought it easier to route it to the fuse panel from the door side and easier to tuck it in behind the rubber door seal.

For the fuse tap, I got this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SUTYYS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I didn't end up using it, because the Rexing kit has a fuse built in. (It's not shown in the picture on Amazon.) When I say built-in, I mean it's permanently attached to the end of the wire. Its fuse does not appear to be removable, so if it ever blows, would have to replace it with a regular fuse tap.

Last edited by RickObe; 11-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW, I found the engine would start easily down to 11.0 volts so I set the cutoff module to 11.5 volts as measured at the 12V sockets.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you use an unused fuse slot? In the picture you have a black fuse/fusetap in fuse box. It looks like there was no fuse in that slot before you removed the retainer.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you use an unused fuse slot? In the picture you have a black fuse/fusetap in fuse box. It looks like there was no fuse in that slot before you removed the retainer.
Correct. The leftmost fuse slot was empty. There's also an empty slot near the middle. Had there not been an empty slot, I would have had to use a piggy back fuse tap.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks.
You said you didn't get use a fuse tap, the plastic piece where you get the power from unused fuse port looks like it's a power cable from something else, doesn't look like a fuse power connector/adapter I've ever seen.
What exactly is that? I haven't seen any of the rexing kits come with a fuse at the end of the wire (they are supposed to have in-line fuse , right?) Or am I looking at wrong kits?

Last edited by hayde_bre; 11-04-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
You said you didn't get use a fuse tap, the plastic piece where you get the power from unused fuse port looks like it's a power cable from something else, doesn't look like a fuse power connector/adapter I've ever seen.
What exactly is that? I haven't seen any of the rexing kits come with a fuse at the end of the wire (they are supposed to have in-line fuse , right?) Or am I looking at wrong kits?

That's the fuse tap... Just opened my rexing kit and it looks just like that...
Attached Thumbnails Dashcam installation-imag0170%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 11-05-2017, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
So did you leave your voltage module there or did you attach it to something under the dash? Did you cover it with something to keep it from accidentally grounding on something?
The following users liked this post:
calculi (10-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Dashcam installation