A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coils and plugs very oily...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils and plugs very oily...HELP!

First off, sorry. I'm a noob with Audi vehicles. Just bought a 07 S8 V10

Guy said the passenger side valve cover had just been replaced. looks like it as there is a clear difference in the look of the plastic from passenger side to driver side

Was fine when i drove it 2 hours home after I bought it. Next day I started getting lean codes as well as some misfires on 9, then 1 and 5.

Pulled a couple of the packs and plugs out last night and saw that they are coated in oil. The driver side plugs (the valve cover was NOT replaced on this side) looked fine.

When i pulled the plugs I noticed that I don't see a seal around the plugs. Is that normal? looked up what the seal looks like and it's clear that there are plug seals but I can't see them anywhere (on both passenger and driver side). Is that normal?

I'm going to be replacing all the packs and plugs this weekend. Do you guys have any other suggestions based on the issues i'm getting? Please and thank you.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ore the valve cover is not the right one ore is damaged.
Ore valve cover gasket is leaking.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, forgot to add that piece of info in...

Checked the torx screws on that side of the cover and they were noticeably loser than on the driver side. it was almost to the point that if i could get my finger in there i could have loosened the bolts.

so maybe that's the cause? or one of them
Old 04-25-2018, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

one last thing i noticed while in there...

most of those clips from the wiring harness to the coil packs have been sheared off. should i replace those? are they easy to replace?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gmanw54
Actually, forgot to add that piece of info in...

Checked the torx screws on that side of the cover and they were noticeably loser than on the driver side. it was almost to the point that if i could get my finger in there i could have loosened the bolts.

so maybe that's the cause? or one of them
looks like the problem.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Hard to arm chair diagnose, but starting point is tightening down valve cover torx bolts. Sounds like sort of a hack job was done if many clips were broken.

On early S8's like your 2007 there was a running parts change where the valve cover on one side was superseded. It meant if you tried to buy the gasket, the only way to get it (at least from dealer) was to buy the whole valve cover. Covered in an old Audi TSB if you dig. Sounds like that may have been the case on yours. There is a mod out there for reworking the gasket from the other side to fit, though if I recall correctly it needed the new valve cover due to warping. As it sounds like you noticed, they are apparently plastic with a fancy paint job.

I don't know D3 S8 motor specifically, but modern Audi's in general use a seal at each spark plug where they go through the valve cover. Thus why covers, gasket and seals all need to be in decent shape and properly tightened.

Dealer sells replacement wiring connector ends for lots of things, including ignitor coils. Easiest is to shatter old connector by (carefully) squeezing with pliers if it is heat soaked and brittle to get wires out and then just transfer to new connector in same order. If connector not heat soaked brittle, sometimes it won't shatter and I get out the utility knife. Still easier than the finicky tools that often bend up the little wire terminals.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Hard to arm chair diagnose, but starting point is tightening down valve cover torx bolts. Sounds like sort of a hack job was done if many clips were broken.

On early S8's like your 2007 there was a running parts change where the valve cover on one side was superseded. It meant if you tried to buy the gasket, the only way to get it (at least from dealer) was to buy the whole valve cover. Covered in an old Audi TSB if you dig. Sounds like that may have been the case on yours. There is a mod out there for reworking the gasket from the other side to fit, though if I recall correctly it needed the new valve cover due to warping. As it sounds like you noticed, they are apparently plastic with a fancy paint job.

I don't know D3 S8 motor specifically, but modern Audi's in general use a seal at each spark plug where they go through the valve cover. Thus why covers, gasket and seals all need to be in decent shape and properly tightened.

Dealer sells replacement wiring connector ends for lots of things, including ignitor coils. Easiest is to shatter old connector by (carefully) squeezing with pliers if it is heat soaked and brittle to get wires out and then just transfer to new connector in same order. If connector not heat soaked brittle, sometimes it won't shatter and I get out the utility knife. Still easier than the finicky tools that often bend up the little wire terminals.
thanks, I really appreciate the info! i'm going to just suck it up, replace all the coils/plugs and also the passenger gasket. then make sure it's torqued down to spec and see if that solves everything
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue on mine, part ofthe reason i pulles my motor. Mine was leaking between the upper and lower cam carrier. There is a seal there and mine was hard as a rock. Requires engine removal.
but dont worry-you can drive like this a loong time, i changed plugs, cleaned all the oil, then went back 13k miles later and was about 1/4 way up the plug body again. Not worth a motor pull just for that but i had other leaks going on, i have a running video series about my s8 engine pull and reseal if you want to check it out: