Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Lane Assist Currently Not Available after Towbar Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane Assist Currently Not Available after Towbar Retrofit

I've recently bought a used Q5 - 2014 MY with 86k miles. It's my first SUV and I love it.

I needed to put a towbar on it to pull a caravan. The fitting of the towbar itself went fine but the fitter said that when he did the coding, it came up with a new code for the lane assist. He didn't expand on what the original code was or what the new one was - I think he probably thought it was OK so didn't take a lot of notice. But after he left and I took it out to test, when I press the button on the end of the indicator stalk to turn on the Lane Assist, I get a message on the dash "Audi Lane Assist Currrently Not Available". This was working fine before the recoding. I got the guy back to check the the coding was correct and when it got to the the Lane Assist code (I think it came up with Module TP20 on his Westfalia coding machine), it said "new code 0042204". But after trying to set that code, it reverted to "current code 0032204" saying "operation unsuccessful".

I had a search on the forums and found the explanation for the coding (below). The first two numbers are for trailer provision - so I thought perhaps the code needed to start with 01 - not 00.

As I have a UK Q5, without adaptive suspension, with ACC, without active steering, with navigation - I thought perhaps the code should be 0122204 as the trailer has now been provisioned. But as the current code is 0032204, should I just update the first two characters and code it as 0132204?

So, I got the guy back to recode it again and told him what I had found. Unfortunately, I couldn't babysit him recoding because I had to do some work (ugh!). 30 minutes later, he said it had taken the code OK. But, I'm not sure if he updated it to 0122204 or 0132204.

Either way, I still get the error message when switching the Lane Assist on. No amber lane assist light on the dash.

Some people are saying that the camera needs re-calibrating. But I find that hard to believe when the Lane Assist was working fine beforehand.

Anyone got any other ideas? Everything else works ok - parking sensors (when the towbar electrics are not connected), rear camera, adaptive cruise control and brake guard.

Any help is much appreciated.

From RossTech forums:-
Section 5 – Camera Coding
7 positions – 7654321
Positions 1&2 – Model
Audi Q5 – 04
Audi A4 – 01
Audi A5 – 02

Position 3 – Region
0 – Rest of world
1 – Only USA
2 – Only Great Britain
3 – Only Japan

Position 4 – Options
0 – Without adaptive suspension/without adaptive cruise control.
1 – With adaptive suspension/without adaptive cruise control.
2 – Without adaptive suspension/with adaptive cruise control.
3 – With adaptive suspension/with adaptive cruise control.

Position 5 – Options
0 – Without Active Steering (PR-1N8)/without navigation.
1 – With Active Steering (PR-1N8)/without navigation.
2 – Without Active Steering (PR-1N8)/with navigation.
3 – With Active Steering (PR-1N8)/with navigation.

Positions 6&7 – OE Trailer provisions
00 – No trailer provisions installed.
01 – Trailer Provisions installed.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update to this problem, in case someone else experiences the same thing.

I bought a ODBII widget and Carista. Scanned the car and found a fault code showing "Lane-maintain system: 03110 - Control Module for Active Steering, no signal / no communication". As I don't have Active Steering on my car, it must have been that the tech that installed the towbar had coded 0132204 instead of 0122204.

I had the guy back as the installation was still under warranty. He recoded to 0122204 and now Lane Assist works fine!