Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is it tough on the transmission shifting into sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it tough on the transmission shifting into sport mode?

So I致e had the car for about a week now and I知 really enjoying it!

I find myself shifting down into Sport mode anytime I知 in town or at a stop light, then into Drive if I知 on the interstate or just going at the same speed for a while, as the gas mileage is better.

Im curious if you guys find yourself going in and out of Sport mode like that? Is it hard on the transmission? If I知 coming on/off the interstate, I値l drop it down into Sport while I知 moving; any reason or evidence supporting that causing excessive transmission wear?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

the Transmission was designed for a sports mode. Use it and don’t worry about it.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I知 more concerned about the shifting in and out and especially while moving. I知 not as concerned about using it in general as I am about the possibility of the shifting in and out...probably 5-10 times, depending on the trip, casing any extra wear and tear.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If shifting in and out of sports mode was a problem they would have designed its use to require that you stop the car before changing the mode. Just like 4 wheel drive cars use to require years ago. In addition, the paddle shifters clearly contemplate the driver shifting in and out while the car is moving. So I continue to believe that you can shift in and out of sport mode while driving. By the way, I put 140k plus miles on my old 4.2, and 87k miles on my current TDi, and have not experienced any tranny problems despite tapping the cars in and out of sport mode. So use it and don’t worry about. If you want to continue to worry about it, then don’t do it. Your choice.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 regarding Kevin's posts. Frankly if the trans is going to let go will probably let go whether you use sport mode or not. Sometimes no matter how gently you treat a piece of machinery or how well you maintain it the thing just breaks down. Attribute that to bad design, poor engineering or just plain bad luck -- out of our control. This was my experience with my A6 (now 3.5 years old / 33K miles and babied -- 5K oil change intervals, driven gently, new air filter at 20K miles -- you get the picture -- old school maintenance) and no amount of babying the car avoided poorly designed upper timing chain tensioners which were replaced under warranty @ 27K miles/3 years old. Sometimes stuff just happens. Drive and enjoy and when car starts to fall apart get something else!

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Its not something I was worried about, just something I didn稚 was curious about.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinderblock
So I致e had the car for about a week now and I知 really enjoying it!

I find myself shifting down into Sport mode anytime I知 in town or at a stop light, then into Drive if I知 on the interstate or just going at the same speed for a while, as the gas mileage is better.

Im curious if you guys find yourself going in and out of Sport mode like that? Is it hard on the transmission? If I知 coming on/off the interstate, I値l drop it down into Sport while I知 moving; any reason or evidence supporting that causing excessive transmission wear?

Thanks!
That's exactly how I drove my A7, and now drive our B9 models. IMO, the best way to drive these cars. And for me, an important advantage for Audi with this set up, as with BMW or Mercedes it is necessary to change the entire drive mode, which is both a compromise and more clumsy.

There is no transmission wear. You are using an electrical switch to alter software parameters, no mechanical difference other than engine revolutions and relative reticence from the transmission to change up (S mode) or to change down (D mode), so probably a wash in terms of frequency of gear changes.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The sport mode enables slightly harder shifts and you are typically pushing harder in sport so the additional transfer of power will be harder on the engine mounts. They will probably go out eventually anyway so you might as well have the extra fun of sport!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is sport mode the same thing as "dynamic" under car modes? Is there an easier way to switch back and forth other than pressing "car" and then using the **** to select the mode you want?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nightwind_Hawk
Is sport mode the same thing as "dynamic" under car modes? Is there an easier way to switch back and forth other than pressing "car" and then using the **** to select the mode you want?
‘Yes it is the same.

Just pull stick shift back while driving and it will go in sport mode. You can also tap the paddle shifters of slap the stick to the side and it will go into manual shifting mode.

Quick Reply: Is it tough on the transmission shifting into sport mode?