A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for Euro members...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default question for Euro members...

Any of you have the heated front windscreen option ? The option was not offered here in the US. I am wondering how well it works to keep ice off the glass. Does the metal film interfere with cell phone reception ? Any downside to having the option ? After battling an iced over wind screen last week I am wondering if the option could be retro-fitted to a US spec A8 ?

Last edited by awdinut; 02-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

awdinut,
I don't have the A8, but I have read a bit about the heated windscreen in various coding sources. The documentation shows a way to code the windscreen into the Climatronic unit, but always mentions that it was not put into production. My guess is, just like the air ionisation module that can be coded to our machines, it was not introduced until the next model, ie D4, if at all.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, it actually was an option on Euro price lists. Dual pane glass could be had as a stand alone option or packaged with the heated windshield for 600 Pounds in Britain; I dont know the price in Euros that was charged on the Continent. The heating element was designed to come on below +5 C when in climate control is in 'AUTO' mode.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I stand corrected, I suppose.
I can't imagine cell service would be impacted. My best friend's mother has a range rover with this option (2016), and cell service is not impacted. Other things, such as an EZ pass or garage door opener, do not get through. there is a designated, marked area at the top of the windshield that has no element, for placing these devices. I can imagine that Audi would have done the same.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Early Mercedes' with a UV resistant windshield had reception issues occasionally but I don't know if the Audi one would.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, for starters.... these are Audis. Soooo much nicer than MBs (that still come with factory halogens, I might add)
In addition, our cellular infrastructure has advanced immensely in the last ten years. I doubt that changing your windshield to heated would make much of an impact to reception, even if you have the heat insulated glass option. You still have the side windows, rear window, and the sunroof. Plus, all of the other nooks and crannies that radio waves sneak in
Perhaps you could try motor-talk.de. A german site with many Audi owners. If you don't read German, load it with google translate and look for your reception question.
Best regards.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by larry23142314
Soooo much nicer than MBs
That's a matter of preference. My old Benz was definitely quieter and more comfortable than my 2 Audi's, for what that's worth, and easier to work on.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cell reception is secondary...

Originally Posted by larry23142314
Well, for starters.... these are Audis. Soooo much nicer than MBs (that still come with factory halogens, I might add)
In addition, our cellular infrastructure has advanced immensely in the last ten years. I doubt that changing your windshield to heated would make much of an impact to reception, even if you have the heat insulated glass option. You still have the side windows, rear window, and the sunroof. Plus, all of the other nooks and crannies that radio waves sneak in
Perhaps you could try motor-talk.de. A german site with many Audi owners. If you don't read German, load it with google translate and look for your reception question.
Best regards.
the main question for those in Europe who have one is 'is it effective against icing' and if so, does someone know enough about the system to say whether or not it is a doable retro fit.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. i had it on my D2. (only found that out when they wanted to replace my windshield...and they found wires coming out along with the glass )
I don't think i have it on my current D3.
It did work nicely. defrosting and even de-fogging worked very well.
cell phone reception really was an issue in that car.. like very noticeable to people riding with me. i've had people in my car holding their phone out the window because there was no reception in my car.. only spot that was slightly usable was where i put my phone holder. right under the rear view mirror.
it also had the dual pane glass..