TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

All szn vs smmr on 19&20 in for mk3ttrs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default All szn vs smmr on 19&20 in for mk3ttrs

This is stock 20in summer(yokoadvan255/30/r20) tire/rim with black optics PKG. Has anyone out there got all seasons on the 20 inch tire ? Or 19 inch? Anyone have the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ ? Just wondering what differences there are?
I want to get 19 inch wheels and If so I'm debating getting all season tires or tires with a thicker sidewall if I stay with summers. Anyone in a mk3 TTRS 8s using all seazn tires? Anyone running all season. On 20 in stock rims ? Is there enough room? Anyone use Michelin pilot sport 4s for summer tires and also Michelin pilot sport AS 3+ on 19 or 20? If so I'd like to know how u like them or what differences you notice ??? I'm looking at some ABT rims the ERF 19in and 20in GRF . Both forged and light weight in black magic. Ill post pics later. Any feedback helps thanks,- Merlin P
Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't understand your questions. Obviously there is enough room for a 20" rim/tire because it is a standard option. If you go for a taller sidewall than 30 on a 20" rim, you will have to go to a more narrow tire to keep the diameter correct. If the diameter remains the same, the tire will fit in the well with no obstructions. I have PS4S on my TT and it is the best tire I have ever owned, however they are just about done at 16K miles which is about what I got on my old PSS. I will get a partial rebate from Michelin since it has a 30K warranty. I have AS3+ on my wife's MB E350 with no complaints. The trade-off you have is some snow ability in the AS3 for some slight degradation in cornering compared to the PS4S. I am very pleased with the occasional snow capability of the AS3 (I have a cabin in nearby mountains). The AS3 will also last longer and is less expensive. Tire Rack has tested both tires against several competitors using the same vehicle in both tests so you can get a numerical comparison of the performance trade-off
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230
Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I currently run Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ 245/35ZR19 on OEM 5-blade rims. Throughout last Winter they were fine for me. I used to run dedicated Winter tires on 18" rims but as I can now pick my 'snow days' the A/S are plenty.

As expected a little degradation in cornering compared to dedicated Summer tires, but really not much. Michelin always provides me a more comfortable ride, which again for me is a plus.

Originally Posted by Merlin Purple
This is stock 20in summer(yokoadvan255/30/r20) tire/rim with black optics PKG. Has anyone out there got all seasons on the 20 inch tire ? Or 19 inch? Anyone have the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ ? Just wondering what differences there are?
I want to get 19 inch wheels and If so I'm debating getting all season tires or tires with a thicker sidewall if I stay with summers. Anyone in a mk3 TTRS 8s using all seazn tires? Anyone running all season. On 20 in stock rims ? Is there enough room? Anyone use Michelin pilot sport 4s for summer tires and also Michelin pilot sport AS 3+ on 19 or 20? If so I'd like to know how u like them or what differences you notice ??? I'm looking at some ABT rims the ERF 19in and 20in GRF . Both forged and light weight in black magic. Ill post pics later. Any feedback helps thanks,- Merlin P
The following users liked this post:
Merlin Purple (03-15-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have A/S Toyo 4 Plus on a 2nd set 20" OEM rims. Going to use them for late fall, winter, early spring. Weather here is mild and not much snow. Drove them about 1k miles while I was waiting on my summer use rims. In the dry and the rain I'd say they are 90% the grip of the stock Pirelli's.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin Purple

I wasn't aware of 20" A/S tires for our 20" wheels, though one of the ^^^ replies indicates I may be uninformed. I will be checking that out as I'm looking for options to extend period (and mileage) between purchases for the 20" wheel set-up. I know that Michelin has a 30k mile warranty for the new PS4s, so that may work (still a summer tire).

On a related topic, if you are looking to off-load the TTRS wheels shown in the pic's, let me know (and where you are located). I may be interested if price is right.
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Only 20 inch ultra high performance A/S I could find in 255/30 20 was the Toyo. Got all 4 of them for less than $900 mounted and balanced. It’s a really good looking tire and rides well. No idea about light snow traction, but looking forward to trying them out this winter!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I struggled with this decision last year on my 2018 TTS (20" BlackOptics wheels). I eneded up going with the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 255/35/20 and I really enjoyed it all winter. Not even a hint of rubbing and there was plenty of room going up from 30 to 35 sidewall. In fact - when winter was over and I went back to the stock Pirelli summer tires that are 255/30/20 I was actually disappointed in the decreased ride quality! I totally wasn't expecting it to be THAT big of a difference.

At the bottom of this thread are some pictures of how the setup looked. Just my $0.02

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...n-for-TTS-20-s
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I remember looking at your pictures when I was trying to figure out a set of A/S. I was concerned that the small difference in overall size would leave nothing for snow accumulation. Seems like my TTRS with fixed suspension from the dynamic plus sits a little lower than your vehicle leaving no extra room. Those Michelins are great tires though. Wish they made them in the stock size.
I think the ride quality of more linked to the difference in the rubber. My all season set is much more comfortable than the stock summer Pirellis. But, who knows really.

Last edited by Ltngbg99; 06-24-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Left out info
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltngbg99
I remember looking at your pictures when I was trying to figure out a set of A/S. I was concerned that the small difference in overall size would leave nothing for snow accumulation. Seems like my TTRS with fixed suspension from the dynamic plus sits a little lower than your vehicle leaving no extra room. Those Michelins are great tires though. Wish they made them in the stock size.
I think the ride quality of more linked to the difference in the rubber. My all season set is much more comfortable than the stock summer Pirellis. But, who knows really.

Great point! I tend to forget that the TTS is so "high" (relatively). I'm more like a GTI or GOLF R than I am a TTRS I think. I'd like to lower it for looks but I've been down that road so many times I just try to ignore the wheel gap when I walk by
Old 06-24-2019, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoccoTheFunnyMan
I struggled with this decision last year on my 2018 TTS (20" BlackOptics wheels). I eneded up going with the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 255/35/20 and I really enjoyed it all winter. Not even a hint of rubbing and there was plenty of room going up from 30 to 35 i sidewall. In fact - when winter was over and I went back to the stock Pirelli summer tires that are 255/30/20 I was actually disappointed in the decreased ride quality! I totally wasn't expecting it to be THAT big of a difference.

At the bottom of this thread are some pictures of how the setup looked. Just my $0.02

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...n-for-TTS-20-s
I have the 20” black optics wheels too, and the additional sidewall intrigues me. No rubbing with taller tires?