Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Auto Hold Button Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Auto Hold Button Installation

Based on a thread I saw somewhere here on AudiWorld I ordered the Auto Hold Button and wiring for my 2018 S5 Cabriolet from "4rings.us". However, so far they have been unable to provide copies of the official manual showing how to "open up" the center console so that I can install the button. Does anyone have the manual and could you provide either copies of the appropriate pages or some written instructions on how to getting into the center console?

Thanks in Advance

Popular Reply

07-13-2019, 11:19 AM
AUDIQSS
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have done it! Auto hold is now working on my 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet. Please be aware that I do NOT claim to be an expert. I have tried to be accurate in the following instructions, but you follow them at your own peril not mine. I strongly suggest you disconnect the car battery before embarking on these procceedures. I have not tested auto hold extensively yet, but so far I can say that it remains on until you turn it off and automatically sets the E-Brake when you turn the car off. Also, it only works in Drive and NOT in Reverse.

Here’s how I did it:

1. Ordered auto hold kit from 4rings.us. They sent the kit OK, but their support data was from 2007 and not of much value/use.

2. Got a lot of good information from several of you here on AudiWorld; especially, “heymoe”

3. Took apart the center console. Heymoe set me up with this video:
. Really great video showing how to get it apart. The only difference was there is no screw to remove from the right-hand side of the console on the cabriolet as that is where they put the top controls.

4. The kit requires you to remove two wires from the connector to the E-Brake (in fact this is the only connector that I took off from the entire center console, the rest I left plugged in.): a Brown one and a Grey/Blue strip one right next to the brown. These two wires were then pushed into a new connector that came with the auto hold kit. And a brown and a grey/blue wire from the auto hold kit were pushed into the newly vacant “slots” in the E-Brake connector.

5. I then removed the “blank” button next to the E-Brake switch and put in the auto hold button. And attached the connectors into those two switches.

6. Next is to run the two long wires (a green/yellow and a green/black) from the kit down thru the center console , under the steering column, and over to the left side of the driver’s area . Those two wires will be connected to the J519 module.

7. The J519 module is located behind the panel that contains the hood release handle. There is one torex screw and several clips holding this panel in place. The torex screw can be accessed by lifting the hood release handle.

8. After getting the hood release panel out of the way you can access three plugs on the J519 module (one small and two large). The small one does not need to be removed, but removing it made it easier to remove/work on the two large ones. There are actually two separate plugs in each of the large plugs and these need to be released from their holder in order to insert the two wires coming from the auto hold button. In my case plug 73a was black and 73b was white. I placed the green/yellow wire into slot 17 of the black plug and the green/black wire into slot 31 of the white plug.

9. Installation is now complete except for putting everything back to where you found it and doing some coding with your VCDS, etc.

10. Coding consisted of accessing two controllers: 09 –Central Electronics and 03 ABS Brakes.

11. 09 –Central Electronics was easy as VCDS broke out the Bits on Byte 15. So I simply clicked on Bit 6.

12. 03- ABS brakes was a bit more challenging as the Bit breakout wasn’t there and I had to figure out the Binary code. But it turned out fairly simple:

13. Go to Byte 18 and in the Binary change 10011010 to 11011010:

14. Go to Byte 30 and in the Binary change 01011001 to 01011011:

Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This doesn't really show you how to open it up, but gives you an idea...

https://static.dalys.lt/800/0/resize...7/1441094.jpeg
Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

This sounds interesting......
Old 07-11-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmm so will there be a connector to connect to the button? I thought the US version doesn't support auto hold.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, what will the button actually do?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The button comes as a kit with a wiring harness that connects it with one of the controllers and the brake pedal switch. Activating it requires a couple of changes with vagcom. And then you have a functional auto hold like the rest of the world has. It holds the vehicle in place along with an active brake lkight uintil you hit the gas pedal to start off again.

But I need help with how to open up the central console. Once I get that done, the rest is easy.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
The button comes as a kit with a wiring harness that connects it with one of the controllers and the brake pedal switch. Activating it requires a couple of changes with vagcom. And then you have a functional auto hold like the rest of the world has. It holds the vehicle in place along with an active brake lkight uintil you hit the gas pedal to start off again.

But I need help with how to open up the central console. Once I get that done, the rest is easy.
Let us know how it goes because I'm very interested in this. How does it work with ACC and ***? I know ACC can hold your brakes but it doesn't activate ***. Ideally I'd Iike AH and *** at the same time.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I use the DAP system to accomplish the same thing. At a stop I hit the cruise button (setting it to the current speed limit) and the car will hold the brakes with the brake light on. Tapping the gas releases the brake and then accelerates up to the speed you have set.
The following 3 users liked this post by heisnuts:
Nikon1 (07-12-2019), Slides (07-11-2019), snafu_ (05-15-2022)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I use the DAP system to accomplish the same thing. At a stop I hit the cruise button (setting it to the current speed limit) and the car will hold the brakes with the brake light on. Tapping the gas releases the brake and then accelerates up to the speed you have set.
I do the same thing! But I don't tap the gas to drive off — I just pull the ACC stalk!
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get just the switch just because I hate looking at blanks, lol.

Quick Reply: Auto Hold Button Installation