Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did it become impossible to obtain the 10-digit vehicle code from Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
Default When did it become impossible to obtain the 10-digit vehicle code from Audi?

When I bought my A4 back in 2018, part of the process of registering myself as the primary user in the MMI involved entering my email address (from myAudi profile) and the 10 digit vehicle code. After that, I was able to activate the 6-mo trial of Audi Connect and later use the myAudi app to access some functionality (e.g., remote lock/unlock, doors/windows status, etc) after the trial subscription expired and I decided not to renew it.

When I purchased a 2019 A5 Coupe, I wanted to do the same... I was able to add the A5 to the app using the VIN, but I still needed to register myself as the primary user in the MMI. I stopped by the dealer to get the code, since as the second owner I didn't have access to it (it's normally present on the Audi Connect activation card or under the safety film on the key). The dealer informed me that they no longer have access to that information, and I need to call Audi to request it. I gave them a call, a ticket was opened, and I was told that I'd get an email with that code in 2-3 business days.

After following up with them multiple times without any success, I was transferred to a different department, then I was told that the vehicle codes are no longer issued. Instead, the IT team updates the vehicle information using my email address on the back end, and once that happens, I would receive further instructions about setting up myself as the primary user.

Now I'm being told that for IT to perform this update, I need to have an active Audi Connect Prime subscription. Ugh!!! Why? I was told that I could do one month ($39) complete the process and cancel the service. I said fine, although it still didn't make any sense! Logged into Audi Connect, and the only two options I'm presented with are 6 months $200, 18 months for $500, which is absurd considering what you get in return. I don't drive as much as I did, and almost everything that Audi Connect offers is useless to me. Needless to say, I'm not going to pay $200 to get access to some of the functions on the app.

Has anyone gone through this process recently? Thanks in advance for any insights!
The following users liked this post:
Inspector413 (01-02-2023)
Old 12-24-2022, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I've been looking at this audi connect stuff a bit, should I ever foolishly decide to jump from my B8 avant to a B9 vehicle. Just seems like a mess. And no doubt something they intend to milk as a nickle and dime gig for steady monthly income. Because just making a good car apparently doesn't pay the bills anymore.

But while I've not learned enough to offer any speculation, you might direct the question to this thread: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...gist-from-Audi
Ascari_Blue_A5 (12-24-2022)
Old 01-02-2023, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's frustrating. I also just purchased a 2019 A5. The salesman I purchased from is very new, and was clueless about most of the features of the car, including the MMI. I've been going around and around for a week, trying to get someone who knows anything about the MMI, but there seems to be more accurate info on this forum than anywhere at the dealership. After reading this and the linked thread, I asked the salesman if he can just reach out to the previous owner (it was originally leased from this dealership) and see if she still has the 10 digit code. Although, if Audi has abandoned this model year to obsolescence, even that may not help.
I have to admit, if I had known this before purchase, I would have seriously rethought whether or not this particular was was as good a deal as I thought it was.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector413
Wow, that's frustrating. I also just purchased a 2019 A5. The salesman I purchased from is very new, and was clueless about most of the features of the car, including the MMI. I've been going around and around for a week, trying to get someone who knows anything about the MMI, but there seems to be more accurate info on this forum than anywhere at the dealership. After reading this and the linked thread, I asked the salesman if he can just reach out to the previous owner (it was originally leased from this dealership) and see if she still has the 10 digit code. Although, if Audi has abandoned this model year to obsolescence, even that may not help.
I have to admit, if I had known this before purchase, I would have seriously rethought whether or not this particular was was as good a deal as I thought it was.
More than likely, your 2019 A5 -like mine- is still able to use the myAudi app, compared to the 2018 models that had 3G modems from the factory, which later were replaced with Motion modems and became pretty much obsolete in terms of remote connectivity.

The easiest way to set yourself up as the key user would be using the 10 digit code vehicle ID, if the dealer could locate it from the previous owner. If that's not an option, you should reach out to Brian, the Audi Technologist, in SMac770's post; he was able to activate my account as the key user (without the need for the 10 digit PIN), and I can now use the myAudi app to perform certain remote functions (e.g., lock/unlock, vehicle status, etc).

Fell free to PM if you have any questions. It's really puzzling that Audi of America does not have an established process for setting up key users, if they're the original owner.

Last edited by Ascari_Blue_A5; 01-02-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Inspector413 (01-02-2023)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I bought my Audi S6 (2019) and also the previous owner did not provide me with Vehicle code. I have met two Audi dealers and all the say is I am verified and set as key user on their side. But anytime I log in to myaudi account in car it just asks for 10 characters vehicle code to set myself as key user in car. Basically, I am unable to set myself as key user in my car. MyAudi Login is matej.kovacik@gmail.com a VIN is WAUZZZF22LN012875. Is anybody able to set me as key user on backend?

Originally Posted by SMac770
I've been looking at this audi connect stuff a bit, should I ever foolishly decide to jump from my B8 avant to a B9 vehicle. Just seems like a mess. And no doubt something they intend to milk as a nickle and dime gig for steady monthly income. Because just making a good car apparently doesn't pay the bills anymore.

But while I've not learned enough to offer any speculation, you might direct the question to this thread: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...gist-from-Audi
Old 02-03-2024, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@SMac770

Originally Posted by Matej86
Guys, I bought my Audi S6 (2019) and also the previous owner did not provide me with Vehicle code. I have met two Audi dealers and all the say is I am verified and set as key user on their side. But anytime I log in to myaudi account in car it just asks for 10 characters vehicle code to set myself as key user in car. Basically, I am unable to set myself as key user in my car. MyAudi Login is matej.kovacik@gmail.com a VIN is WAUZZZF22LN012875. Is anybody able to set me as key user on backend?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi digital plastic key tag

The dealer HAS to order the digital key tag code otherwise you won't be able to become a Key User; it comes from Germany and takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks. Done hours of research on this back in 2021 on my 2019 Audi A7. Audi Parts should be able to order it (Part# 4M0-898-710-LAB) after verifying you are the owner (title, registration, insurance etc). Most Audi dealers and sales are ignorant about this and simply tell you to "call Audi customer service" or "we can add it from our end," No. Incorrect. I wish the dealers are more educated on this if they're going to sell so many preowned Audis. Sometimes you do get lucky and the plastic digital key tag is in the glove compartment/owners manual case.

Hope this helps.

Audi digital key tag w/ 10-letter code
Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

In the US market, what @Ascari_Blue_A5 said. One of the concierge guys at our local dealer in NW OH made me "key user" for the '17 A4Q we bought in Mar as 2nd owners. Took less than 10 minutes start to finish. Too bad Audi connect CARE doesn't work due to the obsolete 3G data connection, but the myAudi app shows me as key user on the VIN. --g

Last edited by drgertol; 05-02-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wlin
The dealer HAS to order the digital key tag code otherwise you won't be able to become a Key User; it comes from Germany and takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks. Done hours of research on this back in 2021 on my 2019 Audi A7. Audi Parts should be able to order it (Part# 4M0-898-710-LAB) after verifying you are the owner (title, registration, insurance etc). Most Audi dealers and sales are ignorant about this and simply tell you to "call Audi customer service" or "we can add it from our end," No. Incorrect. I wish the dealers are more educated on this if they're going to sell so many preowned Audis. Sometimes you do get lucky and the plastic digital key tag is in the glove compartment/owners manual case.

Hope this helps.

Audi digital key tag w/ 10-letter code
Thank you for this information @wlin
I have been to Audi in the Netherlands to activate myself as key user for over a month now, I did tell them about the digital key tag but they assured me that Audi doesn’t issue them anymore and only them (the dealer) can add me as a key user.
Last I was there, they said “still not showing it can take time.!!

I will go back to them with your evidence now.