Suspension Tuning Discussion Discussion forum for general topics regarding suspension tuning

Lowering Springs Installaiton Guide...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs Installaiton Guide...

Does anyone have/know of a place I can get a "How to Guide for installing lowering springs"? I checked the Tech Section and it was some what helpful, but I really would like to find a guide for a 2006 A4 (B7) 2WD.

Along those same lines, how hard is it to install lowering springs? any horror stories I should know about

Thanks Audi Folks,

~Dan
Old 01-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Lowering Springs Installaiton Guide...

I don't believe I've seen one posted here. I did see one on Fourtitude a few months back.

The fronts are very similar to the B5 suspension, which IS posted in the tech section here.
The rears are VERY different, and there are a couple different ways to do it, depending which spring compressor and what tools you have.

Installation of the springs is tricky but not impossible. It's several hours of work and I'm sure there are numerous horror stories, as the rear springs are indeed difficult without the proper compressor.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Lowering Springs Installaiton Guide...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look around on Fourtitude for a guide.

Hopefully I can find one, and save the $300 on installation

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm doing it now, and it's a PITA

I'm installing my Koni/Stasis street sport coilovers right now, and I have to say, without a doubt, they are a PITA.

I've worked on my subaru STI, my Dodge Dakota, and other suspensions, and it really boggles my mind why Audi decided to design their suspension system like this. It's got multiple upon multiple linkages, and the rear shock/spring...wow, just absolutely backward. Sorry to vent.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just as soon pay someone $300 to install it, and set the ride height, etc... the $700 VAGCOM spring compressor tool would make life easy, but it can be done without (I"m testimony to that).
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: I'm doing it now, and it's a PITA

Wow, that really makes me think that I should take it into a shop that has all the tools and let them worry about the multiple linkages.

I had heard that the audi suspension is a similar setup with BMW's, very complex, and hard to get to.

Thanks for venting and shareing insight, you just saved me a weekend, and a lot of frustration.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor

Default Audi suspension is not at all like the BMW.

Audi uses a 4 arm multilink suspension in the front, while BMW uses a machpherson strut. Struts are MUCH easier to work with.

The rear on the Audi is by far one of the more difficult suspensions we do. The A6 is probably at the very top of the list.