Glow Plug Lit Up and No Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Lit Up and No Power

Searching for diagnostic help on 2015 Q5 TDI. Emissions fix at about 64K and currently have about 76k miles. Driving 3 hours at 70+ mph (I know. So slow. But that's not today's problem.) After rest stop, vehicle had no acceleration power. Backed into rest area, shut down, and restarted. Power OK. Drove about 15 minutes and lost power and saw glow plug light steadily illuminated. Got off highway and shut off. When restart, light did not reappear and had power. Found nearby Audi dealer. Was told the code showed: Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Malfunction. Dealer has had vehicle for a week and reports being unable to get problem to recur and therefore does not know what to do next. Dealer reports taking vehicle at highway speed for several trips (perhaps 30 miles each way) without problem recurring. Dealer is in rural area about 3 hours from my home. Besides not having fix, I'm concerned about being stranded on way home. Would appreciate thoughts on likely causes and likely ways for dealer to determine if those causes are at work. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The no power behavior sounds like limp mode, which the engine control software activates under many different triggers -- it allows one to "limp" to a safe location using reduced operating capabilities. Shutting the ignition off, then back on, resets the mode and power is again available -- until limp mode is re-triggered. Many things can cause limp mode but if the dealer can't get it to happen again it may be difficult for them to get to the root cause of the problem. The EGR malfunction may or may not be the cause, it could just be a symptom.

For example we had a 2009 Touareg TDI that would go into limp mode. I scanned it multiple times, received at least 4 different error codes, none of which were the root cause. Might consult the dealer and ask their opinion on trying to drive it home with someone following you, having it towed back, or leaving it there until they can find out what's wrong. Not recommending it to you, but we caravaned that Touareg 900 miles from where we bought it (while on vacation), to home, but it only went into limp mode a couple of times over the trip. In any case, good luck.

Last edited by Tom B.; 06-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tom - Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Short of flat-bedding, I may well be following your example of limping, shutting down, restarting, and I hope going a considerable distance before a recurrence of limp mode. Vehicle will stay at dealer for at least another week. Dealer is driving it. So maybe it will recur. Too bad that so many different causes can generate the same code. But I do appreciate your giving me hope that I may well be able to get the car to my home dealer. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Limp Mode

I can confirm your car was in limp mode. I recently encountered limp mode on my daughter's 2013 TDI Golf. Her issue turned out to be low and high pressure fuel pumps but also had specific code 219, which indicated low fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It did take a week to diagnose, but is working well after the replacement. I recommend finding a deal who is willing to diagnose and call Audi if needed.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BillB-PA
I can confirm your car was in limp mode. I recently encountered limp mode on my daughter's 2013 TDI Golf. Her issue turned out to be low and high pressure fuel pumps but also had specific code 219, which indicated low fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It did take a week to diagnose, but is working well after the replacement. I recommend finding a deal who is willing to diagnose and call Audi if needed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Neither two dealers nor I can get the problem to recur. Dealers have said that until the problem recurs and a code emerges, Audi will not pay for the diagnostic work under the emissions warranty. I have begun discussions with AoA as I am very concerned about using this vehicle for cross country trips.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2ndone
Thanks for sharing your experience. Neither two dealers nor I can get the problem to recur. Dealers have said that until the problem recurs and a code emerges, Audi will not pay for the diagnostic work under the emissions warranty. I have begun discussions with AoA as I am very concerned about using this vehicle for cross country trips.
This is the Gen 3 warranty information:
Parts Covered Under Extended Emissions Warranty
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:
- The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;- The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators;
- The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
- The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper; and
- The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the emissions-related components listed in this section.
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labour and applicable taxes, and shall not void or supersede any existing warranty.

I think you have a strong case that a car in limp mode would not be functioning properly and would affect the car's ability to perform at specification for emissions compliance. I had no arguments, but, the car had a persistent code logged when it went in.

I found this as well as it relates to the settlement:
What happens if I have problems with my car related to the Approved Emissions Modification that my car received?
If you have problems with your car related to your Approved Emissions Modification, you will be given another chance to choose a Buyback or Lease Termination (the “Reoffer”). You will qualify for the Reoffer if your car has a confirmed mechanical failure or malfunction covered by the Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty and associated with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable Failure”) within 18 months or 18,000 miles of receiving the Approved Emissions Modification (the “Reoffer Period”) and
• The Warrantable Failure is not remedied after four separate service visits for the same Warrantable Failure during the Reoffer Period; or
• The car is out of service as a result of the Warrantable Failure for at least 30 days during the Reoffer Period.
An owner who chooses a Buyback through the Reoffer will receive the same amount that the class member would have received if he initially had chosen the Buyback, less any amount already received. A lessee who chooses a Lease Termination through the Reoffer will be able to terminate his lease without paying any early termination fee. (https://www.krcomplexlit.com/wp-cont.../09/2L-LFN.pdf)

Good luck and keep us posted.