How is the 3.0 TDI? I would like to hear from some high mileage people

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one 80k miles, so far so good.

To the point of SUVs with diesels... 3rd party makers will do some for you. There's one site called duraburb that will repower any Tahoe or suburban for you with a Chevy Duramax diesel, and even tune to your specs, fuel economy or torque or hp, etc. They also upgrade the chassis to support heavier suspensions, axles, etc. I'm sure they aren't the only ones doing it.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 Q5 TDI with 29,129km and runs like a dream, seems to take a bit to warm up in -30c temps.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I am at 88k miles and it has been bulletproof so far.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We are approaching 6k kms on our Q7 TDI, so not able to offer any direct experience with the 3.0 litre. HOWEVER: EVERYONE in Yurp sells a 3.0 litre something diesel in cars, SUVs, vans and trucks. I have heard very few if any negative comments from that side of the pond. But from this thread, stuff under 100k miles in the diesel world is barely run in, never mind nearing run out. We took our last two Jetta MkIIs off of the road at 620k and 650k due to rust, engines still strong. Our MkIV has 360k + on a tuned engine and I will bump power some more and do general tidy up of suspension bushings, steering rack, etc. before setting sail for then next 10 or so years. I am curious about the 3.0 in this market, as new to me, and as I am finding, no where near the enthusiast community that is there for the 1.9 and 2.0 engines to provide feedback. BTW: to put things into perspective: I just rebuilt my DDEC II Detroit - first time ANYTHING was opened up in the entire driveline - it has 1.7 million kms on it. Wish our little engines were built that way.

Regarding the previous comments about the 7.3: Ford did not build it, Navistar (IHC) did. It was the DT444E by them and it had a few small problems (mostly cavitation damage due to not enough SCA in coolant), but it had HUGE problems when Ford installed their version of a fuel system. Fortunately, due to the work a few people in the early 2000s, you can buy retrofit parts to eliminate the cackle and knock issues (essentially, #8 has a different injector installed to try to correct issues from the idiotic Ford fuel system that caused #8 to fire before TDC at certain revs) but when you put things back to ordinary diesel way of doing things, it becomes a reasonable engine - if you don't work it hard. It is a cast block with no liners, and it really doesn't last that well. Of course, if you do get cavitation damage, the block is toast. BTW: dumping the Ford junk in the fuel system also gives it near D-Max and Cummins economy...near, but not quite. Also, they are very limited in how much power you can make without serious structural work.

With reference to diesel SUVs: Suburbans had 6.2 and 6.5, later 6.5 TDs up to '99. Old tech engines, but actually can be quite reliable and only weak spot is cracking of main bearing webs in some earlier engines. 480LE gearbox totally indestructible. Truck is getting hard to support (transfer case mostly) but cheap and a bit crude. Ford of course did Excursion that started when GM dropped the 6.5. It was 7.3 fronm '99 to mid '03 and finsihed its run '05 with the infamous 6.0. BUT: once more when you turn to the aftermarket to fix Ford and Navistar's screwups, you can actually make a 6.0 a fairly reliable engine - and the trucks are fairly easy to find cheap. Of course, we got Jeeps with 3.0 Mercs (not a great engine) and later 2.8, 3.0 and 3.1 VM engines. The 2.8 was reliable, the 3.0 and 3.1 have not been so good. M-B sold us a couple of their SUVs with their 3.0 - not bad, not perfect, widely available and sadly the long discontinued R class (essentially a stretched Dodge). BMTrouble-you did their excellent engine in the X5. Everywhere else on the planet, you can (or could) get any SUV with a diesel. Let's not forget that GM will sell you a 1.6 diesel Equinox today. So, we are not without choices. Just wish VAG had continued instead of killing the whole market with Dieselgate.

BTW: a possible bright spot: There is a Ford F150 running around with an opposed piston 2.7 litre diesel that will knock everyone out of the ballpark for efficiency. If it goes to production, expect it to show up in an Expedition. If that happens, after year one is done, our Q7 could be history,
Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lastone
......Just wish VAG had continued instead of killing the whole market with Dieselgate...
Couldn't agree more! These are incredible engines and, furthermore VAG killed the chance for what you can get in ROW : diesel hybrids - best of both worlds. Nothing beats diesel on highway and, electric for zipping around the city. More importantly, hybrids of this type would be practical for families with kids out of town or still with kids playing travel sports. The one-size-fits-all mentality pushed by some [i.e. all electric (just a long tailpipe) when infrastructure lacking] makes me nuts.
'
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

It is a real shame how VAG handled the entire situation from beginning to end.
The following users liked this post:
bpp (08-18-2020)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayhawk94
I asked around before buying my 2013 which I’ve had for about two years now...........
............................The prolongation of warranty coverage on that alone has induced me to get the diesel fix in the near future.
This stuck out in your post. If the fix has NOT been done, you have some serious money waiting for you. When settlement came out there was not a fix for the 3.0 so owners could get 50% of the settlement and the final 50% once the fix was available and applied. So IF, the fix has not been completed you would have at least 50% coming to you (actual amount varies by car and specifics of that car).

I bought my 2014 A8 3.0TDI and the previous owner never made a claim at all. I got the full amount which was more than 11,000 dollars.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 03-27-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Couldn't agree more! These are incredible engines and, furthermore VAG killed the chance for what you can get in ROW : diesel hybrids - best of both worlds. Nothing beats diesel on highway and, electric for zipping around the city. More importantly, hybrids of this type would be practical for families with kids out of town or still with kids playing travel sports. The one-size-fits-all mentality pushed by some [i.e. all electric (just a long tailpipe) when infrastructure lacking] makes me nuts.
'
Audi is not giving up the ghost on diesel, I think diesel just needs to get over what was a man made legal issue.

Audis new Euro only for now SQ5 diesel 3.0 is a diesel putting out 342 hp and 516 lb.-ft !!!!!

Link to article

This A8 is my first diesel and it is wonderful. You get small economy car mileage in a luxury sedan. My previous A8 was a 4.2 and love this diesel motor so much more. I could go about 340 miles of combined driving on a tank vs about 600+ miles on the same sized tank of diesel. And with the Malone tune it is actually faster than my 4.2.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 03-27-2019 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
norris.shelton (11-17-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGOAT
Audi is not giving up the ghost on diesel, I think diesel just needs to get over what was a man made legal issue.

Audis new Euro only for now SQ5 diesel 3.0 is a diesel putting out 342 hp and 516 lb.-ft !!!!!

Link to article

This A8 is my first diesel and it is wonderful. You get small economy car mileage in a luxury sedan. My previous A8 was a 4.2 and love this diesel motor so much more. I could go about 340 miles of combined driving on a tank vs about 600+ miles on the same sized tank of diesel. And with the Malone tune it is actually faster than my 4.2.
Well said. I compltely agree.

The VWAG turbo-diesels were and are excellent engines. The exhaust emission issue was primarily political, greatly exaggerated by the true believers.

I'm pleased to see that VWAG has reintroduced diesel power in the Eureopan model you mentioned.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Well said. I compltely agree.

The VWAG turbo-diesels were and are excellent engines. The exhaust emission issue was primarily political, greatly exaggerated by the true believers.

I'm pleased to see that VWAG has reintroduced diesel power in the Eureopan model you mentioned.
Agree, however I would be far more pleased if the new turbo diesel hybrids would show up in the US.....this quote from the linked article is very displeasing "Germany’s diesel resurgence continues with the help of emission-reducing mild-hybrid functions. But don't expect to see the SQ5 TDI in U.S. showrooms". ARRRGGGGGHHHHH

Quick Reply: How is the 3.0 TDI? I would like to hear from some high mileage people