Surprising Arrogance and Incompetence From TDI Settlement Office

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Surprising Arrogance and Incompetence From TDI Settlement Office

I have a long history of VW ownership going back to my long ago youth with several VW "bugs." At one time I owned a VW based dune buggy with fiberglass Meyers Manx body and at another time a '67 VW bug I converted to a "Baja Bug." Before I bought the Audi Q5 I owned a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI which I thoroughly enjoyed and intended to keep. I relate this story to make it clear that I am a long time fan of VW, their products, and TDI engines.

When the VW 2.0 TDI emissions issue hit the news in 2015 I blamed the emissions scandal on an overzealous out of control EPA and CARB not VW. I considered the approaching need for a 120k mile service with DCT transmission service and predicted replacement of the DPF system and compared the costs and value of the car with the overly generous buy-back offer from VWoA. I decided it made more sense to let VW buy the car. I searched and found the Audi Q5 TDI I have now in July of 2016 and signed up to sell the VW back at the earliest date available.

I surrendered the car to VWoA in December 2016. With it I handed over the properly endorsed title, a signed and notarized power of attorney form, and an odometer statement. I spent some time talking with the VWoA agent at the dealership. He was a sharp younger guy with years of experience in management in car dealerships. He was a professional. The buy-back procedure was smooth, without a hitch, all the paperwork was submitted and acknowledged, and I received a check from VWoA within a short time.

Fast forward to Tuesday of this week and I found a letter from VWoA in my mail box. The official but unsigned letter bluntly accused me of failing to provide the title to the VW Jetta as well as the power of attorney and odometer statement and mildly threatened problems with my state motor vehicle department and cancellation of my registration if I failed to provide those documents. The letter advised me that if I was unable to locate the title I should promptly return the enclosed power of attorney form, odometer statement, and a written statement that I was unable to locate and provide the title. The letter was insulting and offensive.

Angered at the wording and tone of the letter I called VWoA. A young male clerk took the call and I explained. He put me on hold for a brief period then returned and told me it was just their standard generic letter and I should just do what the letter directed. I explained to him that my standard generic response to rude letters with unfounded accusations and threats is to file them without action and forget about them. I advised him that I provided those documents once with the car evidenced by the fact that VWoA provided receipts and paid me for the car and if he documents are lost it is their problem, not mine. I advised the clerk that if VWoA wants me to do anything they will send a written apology and a polite, professional, and signed letter requesting that I sign and return the POA and odometer statement. Otherwise they're out of luck.

I thought about the letter and my response yesterday and decided it would be better to call the settlement office and ask to speak to an adult, hopefully someone in management, to explain. I called again today and explained to a clerk. She said she had spoken with a manager and that person would call me later. The call never happened. I'm surprised at the arrogance.

If anyone sells a car back to VWoA under the emissions settlement I recommend you ensure you make and retain copies of related documents. They might lose your documentation and try to blame you also.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel bad for the grief VW gave you through that awfully constructed letter you received. It does not make sense for VW to send you such a letter since (1) VW dealer accepted your TDI and made sure all the documents are in place before they processed the claim, and (2) VW issued you a check which means they are happy with the documentation they received. While I would feel frustrated, I would write VW Customer Service back and let them know that the letter they sent no longer applies to you for the reasons mentioned above. Make a copy of the letter before sending it off. You can also send it through your lawyer if you want to shake VW's cage.

+1 on your advice for other VW TDI owners who want to receive a settlement. Make a copy of all documents that will be handed over to your VW dealer. Also, have a dealer sign a receipt saying that all required documents for the VW TDI settlement was submitted to them in good order.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was VW Customer Service I spoke with on two occasions and that failed to call me as promised. I'm not going to do anything further.

Like in most big corporations today decision makers in the VWoA settlement office have isolated themselves from the general public so I can't talk with anyone but telephone customer service representatives.

That's okay with me. They have the car and they did have the title and required documents. I was paid for the car almost a year and a half ago. My obligation is completed. If they wish to sell or dispose of the car they'll have to search and find the misplaced documents, forge my signature on a POA and odometer statement, or send a professional letter with apology and polite request for replacement documents. It's not my problem.