Sponsored by:

2006 A8L MMI navigation bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
at8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A8L MMI navigation bugs?

Hi:

I have a new 2006 A8L. It is a wonderful car. I am having problems with the MMI navigation feature though. Often, when you enter a location using a street address or "special" destination lookup it seems that the address isn't quite right. It is usually off by maybe 100 yards, but that is enough to screw up directions in certain cases - or have the MMI think you never reach your destination. This isn't the bug, per se, it is just errors in the map data which Navteq will hopefully fix.

But because of this it is hard to use navigation to those destinations. I've been trying to fix this by using the map to drill into the exact location of the destination, then to save that destination into the directory.

The problem is as soon as you save such a destination to the directory it is saved incorrectly! I've done it a couple of times, using different destinations, and what is saved is always a strange location about 17 miles away! It's not even on a street.

Has anyone else seen this and/or know of a fix? I assume new firmware will be required. At this point a workaround would be good. Is there a way to report bugs like this to Audi?

By the way, there appears to be another less serious bug. If you go through the menu's and select a street address, then save it to the directory, when you recall it the destination screen does not show the street name! For example, if you select 1000 Main St. and save it in the directory the recall it the display just says 1000 in the street number but does not display Main St. This isn't *that* serious as it does have the correct destination in terms of lat/long, so navigation works correctly.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably because the maps are not that exact...

You are depending on the map database to know the exact location of a street address... which I have found is often wrong. It is usually close, as you mention, but rarely exactly right.