TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

01 TT MK1 FWD - Right Axle Rubbing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 TT MK1 FWD - Right Axle Rubbing Sound?

The green bit to the right of the axle, sticking out of the transmission.

Hello! New user with a problem. I've got a TT MK1 180 5 speed. Today I took it out for a drive and noticed the ABS and ESP lights came on. I didn't pay it any mind, since it usually happens when the ABS sensor is dirty. After driving for a bit, I noticed a rubbing sound. No brake pull, not suspension clatter, the sound got faster as the car went faster and slow when I slowed down. Definitely coming from the front of the car. I put it on ramps when I got home, hoping it was maybe the fan rubbing on a wire loom, maybe the metal guard on the brakes was bent and rubbing on the rotor... Nope. I checked the tires for rub marks, the wheels, CV boots are intact, then I noticed the inner part of the right axle seemed fuc*y. Took a picture and then searched my Bentley manual for details on the manual transmission. No information on the mysterious inner working of the 5 speed manual. Searched the AudiWorld Forums and came up with nothing again.
What do you all think is going on here? I'm driving my allroad until this gets resolved.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by exile29

The green bit to the right of the axle, sticking out of the transmission.

Hello! New user with a problem. I've got a TT MK1 180 5 speed. Today I took it out for a drive and noticed the ABS and ESP lights came on. I didn't pay it any mind, since it usually happens when the ABS sensor is dirty. After driving for a bit, I noticed a rubbing sound. No brake pull, not suspension clatter, the sound got faster as the car went faster and slow when I slowed down. Definitely coming from the front of the car. I put it on ramps when I got home, hoping it was maybe the fan rubbing on a wire loom, maybe the metal guard on the brakes was bent and rubbing on the rotor... Nope. I checked the tires for rub marks, the wheels, CV boots are intact, then I noticed the inner part of the right axle seemed fuc*y. Took a picture and then searched my Bentley manual for details on the manual transmission. No information on the mysterious inner working of the 5 speed manual. Searched the AudiWorld Forums and came up with nothing again.
What do you all think is going on here? I'm driving my allroad until this gets resolved.

Apparently that's normal. Guess I should be relieved. Now I'm thinking that the ABS sensor or slotted disc may be bent. Wheels off tomorrow and I'll have a look.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ABS and ESP sensor lights combined with the rubbing noise points to the wheel bearing. Good thing I caught it right away. Simple job with the right tools and much cheaper than any transmission work.
Thanks everybody, your help has been invaluable.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Final update, I swear. Maybe somebody will find this useful some day.

Transmission cooling line. It slipped forward (probably when I did the timing belt) and a good bump or two in the road set it to rest against the left axle shaft. Used a pry bar to gently push it forward.
Also put some threadlocker on my spacer/bolt pattern adapter bolts while I was cleaning the ABS sensors.