TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

04 Audi TT rear speakers disconnected -- options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Audi TT rear speakers disconnected -- options?

Hi, I've worked on the mechanicals on my newly aquired 04 TT 3.2. The only thing now to do is the rear speakers are disconnected by previous owner, presumably because they stunk. It's a Bose Sympony II with CD changer, NAV.

I was hoping to use stock HU since it has NAV, and add a seperate amp/tube I have sitting around the garage--using the wires for the rear speakers/bose amp.

Problem is I can't get the bolt/striker that the rear seats lock onto off, the previous owner messed up the bolt/striker. I've used 17mm deep sockets--not deep enough...so the rear panel where amp/speakers are won't come off.

Therefore, I need to get either RCA plugs or line level outs that were for the rear speakers --without removing the rear panel. Are the input signal wires to the Bose amp under the carpet on passenger side somewhere? Or perhaps cut the wires in back of the HU? My sub can take speaker input or RCA.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not sure you can completely scrap the Bose amp...

The amp also powers the front speakers. So unless you have something else you're switching to, you will not want to completely cut the wires to the Bose amp.

I spliced into the line-outs from the HU back at the amp to run a self-powered sub in the trunk. So the Bose amp still does everything it used to but now I also have the sub.

You can certainly splice into the line-out up at the HU if you cannot access the amp. Just don't cut it completely.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Not sure you can completely scrap the Bose amp...

Ok, so I should splice the line out to the rear speakers in back on the HU. I'm still going to use the Bose Amp for the front speakers and center speaker.

Any tips on the splice? The Betley says there are 4 wires, brown, green, green/white, and black on the yellow connector going to the amp from radio. It appears the brown could be a floating ground and 1 green 1 green/white wire are postive? Perhaps the black is remote on pos? I find the wiring diagram a bit vague...

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There should not be wires to rear speakers in HU...

There should just be a line out to Bose amp. Bose amp then has wiring to all speakers. I spliced back at amp so not sure what harness looks like at HU. The line out is a specially shielded cable in my car. I was afraid to ruin the shielding so I actually did not splice into the cable but rather soldered my new wires onto the connector pin at the harness going into the amp. You could do at connector on HU. I wrapped the wire around the crimpped connector for the line-out then used solder to secure it. Did not affect performance of existing setup and I have noticed no noise issues with the new wires as pre-amp to my sub.

You should really try to get at your amp. Maybe try a pipe wrench but not on the post but rather the nut pattern where the bolt snugs up against the panel. Pipe wrench may give more leverage.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think you're right on the wires...

Pulled up the Bently and I recall my splices were next to each other. The green and grey/white are next to eachother. Black tells amp to turn on.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Default OK Thanks

OK, thanks for all the info. Nice TT by the way...mines silver with black rims too.

You're right, not getting into the rear panel is making this way more difficult. If I could get the rear panel off, I could just use the speaker output from RR Bose since my amp takes speaker level input.

I've tried to get the 17mm nut off, but every deep socket isn't long enough. Bought flare wrench, started stripping nut. The previous owner torqued it on and it's partially stripped. Used cars....doh...