TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 225 TTQC in Seattle. First Impressions (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 225 TTQC in Seattle. First Impressions (Long)

As promised, here are my first impressions for a 2001 225 TTQC Lake Silver/Ebony everything except phone and nav.

I picked up my TT at University Audi in Seattle on Saturday. It's Lake Silver/Ebony, and now that I have it, I'm glad its silver. While I was at the dealershipI ran into Pete from the NW Quattro Club. He told me that I wouldn't be leaving my TT except to eat or go to the bathroom for the next while. He's right. Well, I still go to work, but otherwise he's right...cheers, Pete!

I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice this car rides. I'm not going to get into the mkI and mkII thing here, but for me, I'm extremely happy with the ride, especially since this car will be used for non-track driving 99.5% of the time.

The transmission is great. I'm still getting used to it and the fact that it has 6-speeds which adds a level fun and flexibility. It has sufficient pull throughout the gears.

The engine is great. There is some turbo lag, but it gives the car a definite personality, and I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with the car's power delivery curve, again, it'll make driving more fun. This car has torque. If you drive an S2000 or similar engined cars, you won't get this kind of torque until you're up there on the tach. Once the turbo kicks in, you've got gobs of torque at a fairly low rpm. Or at least, gobs of torque for me, especially considering that this is a 1.8 liter engine we're talking about. I still can't believe that it's a 1.8 liter engine...

The brakes are excellent.

The Interior is great. Once you learn where all the controls are, it's even better. My sales rep gave me a nice walk through of the controls, which is good, because I would never have found the fuel tank cover release button, but now that I know where it is, I appreciate the cleverness of the design. I'm a user interface designer by trade, so I like to think that I can really appreciate the interior design effort in this car. One of the main problems in design is how to make it successfully functional without making the product devoid of personality. Sometimes you need quirks, or should I say, quirks are a result of something more attractive than pure functionality, and that's personality, or dare I say, charisma. So if I were to do a functional audit of the cars interior controls, I'd find some room for improvement. Would I change a thing? nope. I'd rather have personality.

I have the Bose system. I'm not as happy with this as other systems I've seen on cars like the lexus and acura systems. But I'm glad to have it nonetheless. It's better than what I'm used to. The main complaint is sometimes I can't find a way to make it sound the way I want it to sound. That's sounds pretty unscientific, I know, but that's the only way to describe it. The radio and the tape sound fine for the most part, but I find that with CDs it really depends on the CD. I don't know what the bose system's weak link is, but I'm wondering if it's not the CD changer...Any thoughts? All in all, I can tell good sound quality from bad, and I wouldn't rate the bose more than an average, but I do find myself enjoying the system's power and bass. I wish there was a midrange setting in addition to treble and bass.

Blind spots. This car has them. Use your mirrors.

Last but not least. The exterior. This thing is a piece of art. I can't believe it's mine. I'm thankful, in shock, worried, anxious, and very happy at the same time.

I look forward to meeting other Seattle area TT owners and exchanging notes on this great car. I had a great time talking with QuaTTroChick and Pete at the Quattro Club area at the vintage historics race at SIR, I look forward to joining the quattro club and having some fun!

That's it. I'm outta here. I think I'll try to take a long lunch today *wink* .

Cheers,
TATT (Formerly TA before I got the TT)
Old 07-17-2000, 06:32 PM

Default Re: 2001 225 TTQC in Seattle. First Impressions (Long)

Hello. There a several Seattle-area TT owners getting together at the end of this month. If you're interested, let me know ASAP, so we can count you in and send the details.<p>Sean

2000 TTQ 180
Lake Silver/Ebony
Old 07-17-2000, 09:02 PM

Definitely.