TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 TT Roadster stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TT Roadster stereo upgrades

I've been looking on facebook groups and such for some aftermarket stereo options that people have installed in their TT and haven't come across much. The stock Bose system isn't that great to me. I don't use CD's anymore, tapes aren't going to cut it, so I'm hoping there are some TT owners out there that have some nice upgraded stereos and can maybe share some pics of what's out there. My first TT and being that it's a convertible I would like a decent system to block out the road noise and such.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my TT Roadster in March and upgraded the Bose stereo by installing an Alpine HU. I used the CRUX SWRAD-55 Radio Replacement with SWC Retention (Audi Vehicles) harness to install it. It was simple plug and play (with some soldering). I got some spacers from enfigcarstereo.com to mount the HU. They also have harnesses and other stuff to help install stereos in the TT.

Since then, I got a double-DIN console from someone in Germany (https://tt8n.de/en). It is a little costly, but amazing, and relocates the HVAC controls to lower in the console and allows a double-DIN stereo to be installed in the same space. You lose the ashtray but it looks excellent. I was able to use the same CRUX harness with the Alpine double-DIN HU. I also upgraded the speakers and installed separate amps so the Bose stuff is no longer in use. Nothing was cut so it can all be returned to stock.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I actually really like that idea. Was the shipping time ridiculous or? I'm going to look into it because it looks so clean and I didn't think a double DIN would be possible in the car. Thank you!!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, I'm curious, how did you go about actually buying the console adapter? I don't see any info other than price on the site as far as buying it.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Becker makes a perfect unit for older Porsche’s. I’d love to have one but it would be kind of silly to spend this on an older TT that I only drive to club events.
Becker single DIN radio Nav.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Shane Rios
Also, I'm curious, how did you go about actually buying the console adapter? I don't see any info other than price on the site as far as buying it.
There is a link on the bottom of the web site to send him an email. He will send you a PayPal invoice. It took a little over two weeks to get it. It was worth the wait.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, I emailed him to get more information. As for the Porsche single DIN, that's definitely a bit of money! lol, looks good but I couldn't imagine spending 1400 bucks for a head unit.