TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

3.2 and others driven today..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 and others driven today..

So I'm probably going to get flamed for the first part of this post..but *shrug* it's my opinion..

I testdrove the 250 TT today. I'm going with the 225 version. The 250's constant delivery of power was nice, I'll give it that; certainly seemed quicker overall than the 225 on the low end, but it seemed identical on the high end.

Paddle shifting: Not so much. From the time I hit the trigger to the time it actually shifted took WAY too long. The speed of the shifting was fine, but the trigger time to activation was really long. I would try shifting fairly high (but a good distance from redlining) and everytime the TT shifted as a result of having redlined not because i hit the paddle several hundred RPMS (or up to 1k rpms) sooner. I don't honestly think (providing the engine was identical; which i realize it's not) i would be getting *SUBSTANTIALLY* more speed-to-60 using this over manual because of the constant delivery of power. Then there was the whole matter of bliping the the engine while downshifting. Good heavens; maybe it was the computer not used to my driving I don't know but when I went from 3rd to 2nd (coming up on a driveway and turning back into the dealership) it sent the engine way the hell up there to try to downshift, when the reality was that the engine and tranny were basically already there. I'm curious how the system calculates, if at all, how high it needs to rev the engine to reach sync.

I could certainly see how people could like this though; like i said the constant delivery of power was nice. I drove the 225 again immediatly afterwards and noticed the difference, especially the turbo lag on the bottom end. I suspect once it's chipped, the problem will be resolved (mostly).

Nissan 350Z - *shrug* didn't care for the interior..felt typical nissan plasticy. They need to put the infinity g35 in the Z and just got it over with. Cool front end and hatchback.

Honda s2000 - I would take one if given to me. Then I'd insure the hell out of it, and drive it off a cliff. Two reasons: 1: so i can collect the insurance and buy a real car, not a toy and 2: so it's one less HORRIBLE interior car on the road. Nice exterior lines.

Mercedes SLK230 - Nice rear end. Mercedes: can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update the interior to something intuitive?

Infinity G35 - Beautiful interior, minus the ugly amber-esque lighting. Amber went out with amber monitors in the early 90s.

Lexus sc430 - I wish I had something nice to say about this one. I don't. Sorry. Ok, no i'm not. There is NO reason whatsoever that an sc430 should be 67k. NONE. I looked at it, walked around it, kicked the tires, he told me the pricetag, I looked up at him, laughed uncontrollably for a while (no, really - I did) asked him if he was serious, turned on one heel and left.

I'm buying a TT 225 Manual.

Period.

--FR!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those are some of the *exact* thoughts I had when car shopping...

... pretty funny how much I agree/said the same things.

Anyway, don't expect to get flamed too much: many 1.8T TT owners are still VERY skeptical and unimpressed by the 3.2 TT (most around here refer to the 250hp car as the 3.2). I couldn't agree with you more regarding the delay between order->execution of the shifts. The DSG is really trick, and engages instantly, but not instantly following the paddle pull. Sort of made the whole DSG thing a bit moot.

Those things said, the brakes on the 3.2 TT are far better than the 1.8T cars.

Congrats, and keep us posted!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good choice, then chip it!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 250 car huh....

with my chip and other mods.... I'm over 250.... and I love my (original) 225....
Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well, 250 yes. The first thing I want to do with my 225 is chip is stage 1 it as hard as I can...

...cuz the power of the 250 was nice as well.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This place seems more and more like B6 S4 land every day.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why do you say that?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo Vs. N/A?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, but is there more to it?

Quick Reply: 3.2 and others driven today..