TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

3.2 TT test drive comments...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.2 TT test drive comments...

From VAGMAN today courtesy of the UK TT Forum...

3.2 Quattro : THE VAGMAN VERDICT
Today at 12:15pm »

Car supplied by : Dundee Audi

Car tested and spec : Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Misano Red, silver leather, cross-spoke alloys, 6 CD, Bose, tinted glass

Weather : Dry with sunny intervals, temp 17c

I had the car for a 2 hour test drive on Saturday 6th September. The drive consisted of dual carriageway, fast A road, twisty B road and a fair bit of town/urban driving.

Not being used to driving an auto, it took me 5 mins to acquaint myself with the new style. Thereafter, it was all systems go.

First of all, it must be said, the DSG is unquestionably fantastic, whether it be in drive manual or sport mode.

Drive is the least involving, but, progress is nevertheless rapid. The gear change really is every bit as silky smooth and quick that we've all read in the press. It is perfectly suited for urban driving.

Manual, whether it is using the shifter or the paddles, is instantaneous. It is quite amazing the way it changes gear so swiftly and smoothly. This mode is ideal for fast roads, where, if necessary, you flick down a couple of gears in order to complete an overtaking manouver.

Sport mode was my favourite. It is phenominal fun and the one to be in on those twisty country roads. You can also use it in town, where the high revving engine makes heads turn with that wonderful exhaust growl.

Handling wise, I believe that it was a tad more responsive than my 225, especially in the corners, but I can't say that I noticed it being nose heavy.

Ride quality, despite being slightly higher, was similar to the 225, but the brakes, being bigger, certainly felt more reassuring.

As far as DSG stutter is concerned, I can honestly bsay that I was not aware of any particular hesitation or slowness off the mark. I made a point of driving through heavy traffic and try as I might, I could not identify any situation where I was left waiting for the requested power.

SUMMING UP

The 225 is a fantastic car, I love it, but the 3.2 Quattro is qiute simply.............AWESOME.

Although I had one on order prior to the test drive, I had embarked on the test with an open mind. If I hadn't enjoyed it or didn't feel that it was any better than the 225, then I would have cancelled the order.

But, I was genuinely stunned by the experience and the 3.2 Quattro is a fantastic addition to the TT range.

If you haven't tried it yet, get yerself along to yer nearest Audi dealership. You won't regret it.

n.b. if you do get a test drive, make sure that you have it for an appropriate length of time and don't just waste it by blasting down the nearest motorway.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w00t
Old 09-06-2003, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder how the 3.2 would compare to a modded 225.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:53 AM

I think each owner will have to drive them both to make up his/her own mind.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm very much intrigued by the handling comments.

Brad, I hope you drive your 3.2 for a bit before doing the coilovers and arms. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on how the stock 3.2 setup compares to your hybrid 225.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:15 PM

Default I think I will be in a good position to comment. Here's why...

Right now, my 225q TTR is in the shop, having the coilovers removed. The stock suspension will be put back on and aligned to OEM specification. I will be driving on this stock suspension for probably 3-4 weeks, awaiting the arrival of the 3.2.

Once the 3.2 arrives, I'll drive it for a bit and see what I think of the stock suspension. Eventually, I suspect that the coilovers will go back on, but I will have a fair amount of time to compare the two stock suspensions.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

does 3.2 stock sit lower than the 225's? most pics of production cars seem to be a bit high
Old 09-06-2003, 03:34 PM

Hard to say. Some of the pics make it look a bit higher, but I'm not sure if it actually is.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks, can we expect them in the states withint a month?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:42 PM

in regards to the UK person's comment, it's possible he was comparing it to an S-line 225

Quick Reply: 3.2 TT test drive comments...