TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

3rd gear grind...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear grind...

Ok, gotta revisit this as it is VERY apparent now.

Anytime I shift from 2nd to 3rd in with the RPM's over 3500 or 4000 (around there or higher) and I go straigh from 2nd to 3rd then I get a grind (as if I was trying to engage that gear before it was in the gear fully). If I wait a second or two before entering the gear (leaving the shifter in neutral) then putting it in gear I get no grind.

I have studied this over the past few months and I can say for certin that the clutch is fully depressed. I can also say it doesn't happen below 3500/4000 RPM and it doesn't happen with any other gear.

I am not trying to "speed shift" by any means... just normal shifting when I am on the high end of the RPM scale in that gear.

It is VERY apparent and very obvious when it happens and I am confident that I can repeat it for the dealer.

I am wondering if anyone else is getting this sort of thing and if anyone has any idea what it might be.

Also, what reprocuscions might this grind be putting on the tranny? Meaning, this probably has happened about 10 - 30 times in the past few months (believe me, I try desperately not to make it happen) so what are the negative effects that will show up in the tranny? Obviously something is grinding and when that happens something has to give.. will the tranny die sooner? Should I pursue some further investigation and replacement of other tranny parts (pending a fix of the problem) that might have been damaged with this problem?

One more thing that might help. Somtimes in the morning I can get into reverse. I depress the clutch, push the shifter down and into reverse and it just won't go in. So, I pull it into neutral let the clutch off and let it sit for a few seconds and try again. Sometimes it works on the second try and sometimes the 3rd or 4th.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2002, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3rd gear grind...

As far as not being able to shift into reverse, I've had that same issue. Sometimes I also have trouble shifting into first when I am parking (ignition turned off). What I do typically is depress the clutch fully, then let off, then depress and try again. Works on the first try 90% of the time.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:37 PM

Thanks... kinda strange.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:38 PM

Default Re: 3rd gear grind...

I've had the exact same problem, with both the 2/3 upshift and the 3/2 downshift. I've also occasionally been unable to get the car into reverse after starting it in the cold, usually throwing it into first then going back into reverse works.

Haven't noticed any negative side-effects, except for passersby giving me a look that says "What are you doing to that poor clutch?"
Old 04-09-2002, 01:40 PM

Default "haven't noticed any negative side-effects" but I am wondering will the side-effects show up too

late?

I mean, first of all I would expect that this isn't normal opperation and this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Secondly, I don't wan't to be at 50k miles and have the tranny go prematurely because this problem put extra stress on it or something (non-technical person here).
Old 04-09-2002, 01:42 PM

Default I get the same thing in 2nd.

I'm having my dealer look at it as we speak. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything!
Old 04-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Default that would be unfortunate...

I have the joint blessing/curse of leasing the car - I would be more concerned if I owned it.

I'm taking it to the dealership next monday, I'll have them take a look at this problem while its there.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:44 PM

Thanks Merou!
Old 04-09-2002, 01:45 PM

Default I am leasing too, but I think I am going to buy...

But not if these problems persist. Its nice to hear that 2002's have been relatively problem free so far.

I can't imagine that Audi made any vast improvements over the parts used in 2001 and previous compared to 2002... but maybe.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey, I get that too! Not very often, but when it does I always think back, "what the heck, did I

not get the clutch all the way in??" Strange. Like you said, it is only in the higher rev range, and only in 2nd to 3rd. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: 3rd gear grind...