TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

3rd Gear synchro problems... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear synchro problems... :-(

Hi all. This is my first post to the forum, but I have been reading posts here since I bought my Roadster 6 months ago. Anyways, I have a 225 TTQR with the 6-sp tranny, and I just dropped it off at the dealer last week to have them check out a problem that I have noticed since delivery, but one that has gotten worse and worse ever since. I am currently at about 7,200 miles, and just about every time I shift from 2nd into 3rd, with the RPM's above 4500, it grinds. It goes into the gear fine after that, but I have been really babying it lately. It used to do it only once in a blue moon, but it started happening more frequently.

I know everyone is going to ask me if I have the clutch depressed all the way, and the answer is - yes, of course. Now, I had a '94 Corrado prior to this, and it had a 5-sp. tranny that had the same problem, only with 2nd gear. The dealer dropped the tranny and fixed it, no problems. I have read that the 5-sp. VWAG transmission has some problems like this, but I haven't ran across it on the 6-speed.

Has anyone out there with a 225 had this happen to them? Have you had it repaired, or was the transmission just replaced? My dealer said this is the first Roadster they have seen like this, and they currently have a Coupe in for the same thing. Told me to enjoy the Jetta loaner car, because I may be in it for a few weeks...oh well, I'm just glad the car is under warranty, or else it would be some major $$$.

Anyone else with this problem, please let me know what the outcome was...

Thanks,
Chris King
TTQRMan
cking@idworld.net
San Antonio, Texas
2001 TT Quattro Roadster (225hp/All Green)
Old 12-02-2001, 06:01 PM

My son in Orlando knows a man there that is having the same prRe: 3rd Gear synchro problems... :-(
Old 12-02-2001, 07:05 PM

I had exact same problem...switched to MT90 Redline GL4 and it went away
Old 12-02-2001, 07:23 PM

I have the same prolem but not frequently, please post again after service to identify it. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:05 PM

Default Re: 3rd Gear synchro problems... :-(

Well, just to follow up to my original post...

I just went and picked up my car today, which has been at the dealer since Nov. 28th. Turns out they went ahead and replaced all the synchros in the transmission and anything else that looked suspect. The grinding is now gone, and shifting is much smoother than before in all gears, so who knows what else they adjusted in there...

Also, while I had the car there, I told them I knew about some different codes for the locking/alarm system, and wanted to know if they could set the TT to lock the doors at 5mph like the newer VW's. They set it up for me, so now my doors lock automatically, PLUS they unlock when I turn the car off and remove the key...very cool! I didn't know it would unlock automatically, as well...

All in all, I am one happy camper now. At least they gave me a 2001 Jetta to drive while the TT was in the shop - but hey, the Jetta is not a TT as we all know...hehehe...I am happy to have my TT back and in tip-top shape...