TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

After a year, I finally figured out and fixed the suspension clunk >>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a year, I finally figured out and fixed the suspension clunk >>>

For a year I have been dealing with a clunking suspension- tried out new strut busings and bearings, stock suspension vs PSS9s, new poly busings for the front sway ... nothing worked.

This past weekend, I was playing with the ride height on the PSS9s and noticed that the top rubber/grease joint on the passenger side sway-bar end link looked odd; on closer examination I noticed that the grease was all out and the rubber boot was pushed back and there was a clunking noise (same pitch but a much lower amplitude) when I would move that joint by hand; additionally it did not seem to have the same articulation as on the drivers side. Decided to order a new one; it came in last evening and after a 20 minute replacement job and a quick ride around the block- voila, no clunks. The same was true for the commute to work this morning- 35 miles, including some not-so-carpeted roads.

So if you have a clunking front suspension, then definitely check the grease joints on the end links (especially the one that goes into the strut).

Just wanted to share as I know quite a few of us have this issue ... here's another solution.

Tx.

Pal
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 AM

Default I replaced my sway bar end links last year and still have the clunk...

I notice it when backing up in the morning and cutting the wheels sharply. I will hear a pop that sounds like it could be the sway bar or links but it don't make sense since they are only a year old? My buzzing vibration noise that sounds like a loose brake rotor shield still goes on with no solution in sight.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The buzz/flutter I still have ... seems to come from the DS rear brake rotor shield >>>

Checked the shield there and things look fine ... hope the clunk does not come back though.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 AM

My sound is for sure coming from the front-Been chasing it for over a year hoping something breaks!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the exact same thing. Dealer looked at it a million times and fixed it on occasion.

First it was the subframe that had to be re-torqued, but that was when things got really noisy. After re-torque most of the noise was gone, but then it came back. Finally they changed some joint that is a part of the steering. That fixed it for close to a year, but now its back again and again they have no idea what it is.