TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Aftermarket CD/MP3 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 06:18 AM
billk

Default Aftermarket CD/MP3 Anyone?

Has anyone done an aftermarket CD or even an MP3 player?
I have the original tape player (my Q didn't come with the CD).
Dealer says they can add the Audi 6-disk changer for $500 but I think there might be better options out there. The head unit in the dash is pretty unique, and so far no one I've asked (locally in Central Florida) knows what to do with the setup.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:45 AM
Jeff M

Default MP3

When I get my TT, I'm planning to go out and buy the highest-capacity portable MP3 player (like a rio) available, and run it line-in into the head unit (if there's a jack for that). If there is no line-in stereo jack on the head unit (I didn't look for it when I had the chance! Doh!) I'll be asking here I can solder myself one and have it work with the system. I'm not gonna go the "fake cassette tape" route unless I absolutely have to.

There are lots of cool linux-driven MP3 players, but they're either just a computer behind the seat or a replacement head unit. I want to keep the head unit in place, and I don't really want to deal with getting a PC to run in my car. *grin*

I figured the rio would be the easiest way to do it.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:58 AM
Shawn Y.

Default Re: InDash MP3

Check this site out:<ul><li><a href="http://www2.empeg.com/main.html">http://www2.empeg.com/main.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-16-1999, 10:16 AM
Jenner

Default My TT's aftermarket CD/TV/Playstation/Sound System(well moblie video really)

Hey Bill. To make a really long store about my mobile Audio/Video, I currently have the BOSE headunit and 6 disc changer going to an Audio Control 3.1 Line Driver/Pre-amp/EQ/Crossover then Rockford Fosgate 3 channel amp(250watt RMS X 2, 200watt RMS X 1) driving Boston Acoustic 5.5 Pro Series Components in the front, and a dual 10" JL Audio sub in the rear.

Next week, I will be having a Kenwood P907 installed along with a AC to DC inverter and a playstation.

The Kenwood P907 is an in dash single DIN unit with a high end cd player, motorized 5.8" widescreen high def touchscreen(yes touchscreen!) and a TV tuner all in one compact unit that can hide behind the aluminum folding door. It has dual video inputs and one of those inputs will be used for a Sony Playstation. In the future I will add a DVD player or the Playstation 2(which has the ability to play DVDS).

The Kenwood unit is not as tall or wide as the stock headunit, so I am having a custom ebony plate made to fill the extra area. If you look in the picture poster on audiworld. You can see pics of others who have done a similar thing to put an aftermarket CD player in the stock spot.

My only concern with this install is that I have heard the head unit holds the codes for the alarm unit and the features like windows up and down via remote key fob. I am crossing my fingers that the windows and remote will work the same as before with the stereo missing. It does say its possible to replace the stereo in the owners manual. I'll let you know how all this works out next week with a post and hopefully several pictures. HTH. Feel free to ask me any ?'s.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett (H&R Sport Springs tomorrow!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.kenwoodusa.com/cat_detail.htm?p_Prod_ID=P-907&p_HotButton=Everything+you’ve+got&p_ProductDiv ision=Mobile+Electronics&p_ProductCategory=Mobile+ Video&p_View=cat_feat.htm">Kenwood P907 Unit</a></li></ul>
Old 12-16-1999, 10:42 AM
Bill

What? All that and no nav system in that Kenwood? Ripoff....
Old 12-16-1999, 11:03 AM
Jenner

Default Its the only mobile touchscreen on the market and the Nav system will be available as a future addon

I'm not paying list price. That price on their website is way HIGH. Besides its MY toy and I like it. Its worth it to me just for the coolness of it. I doubt I'll use it that much(since I am always the driver) but at car shows it will be fun to pass the time playing games or watching a movie.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-16-1999, 12:06 PM
Joe

Now I REALLY want a ride in your car! (nt)