TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

For all those with a Diesel Geek race Short Shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all those with a Diesel Geek race Short Shifter...

Did any of you have a problem with grinding 1st to 2nd when shifting fast? I grind that shift every time I shift it fast! Did any of you have this problem, if so how did you overcome it or did it go away...diesel geek said it was simply the audi transmision grinds that shift in most models...I sometimes grinded with the OEM but maybe 10 times ever, now I do it all the time...WTF? Any imput would help...I wanted a SS to shift fast, not pussyfoot my shift because of fear of grinding!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Default You will probably get the same answers you got last week when you asked. You should

have gotten the original<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1120588.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1120588.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 08-23-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Cool...

It just seemed that DG thought it was our transmision and not their shifter, I guess I could try to get them to swap an original for me. BTW is the original much longer than the race? I really like the short throws, but could do without the grind.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you should recheck the alignment with the nail tool that they send to you.

most of the time, its just a tweak here and there...but if you're jamming the gears, I'm not sure if anything will help. short shift doesn't allow faster shifting...but shortens the shift distance, thus, making the shift throw shorter = results, faster shifting.

also dependent upon how you release the clutch in unison.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 AM

DG installed it for me, I will have them check it out...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Elder Member

CusTTom

It is our transmission.. it can't keep up with the shift speed....
Old 08-23-2004, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope - I've used both DG shifters without issue.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:35 AM

nope
Old 08-23-2004, 10:38 AM

Default i have done it a few times

and i know i said that i could prevent it with finesse... well, my foot is in my mouth now, because just this past weekend, i had four grinds into second and they were all quick shifts under heavy acceleration.

The thing that I try to do is give the tranny a little bit of a break between the time i pull it out of first and put it into second. i try to feel for the moment 2nd gear is ready for the shifter to fall into it..

what im concerned with, is if it gives me more problems in the future, like 2nd gear craps out on me.. ive gotta put the stock shift linkage on or else warrantee wont cover it because its not audi parts. im sure that AoA would love to stick me with the bill, because I put aftermarket parts onto a tranny that's legendary for problems.. i love it. i'm gonna start to carry the stock linkage with me just in case.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Just went out for a frustrated pactice shifter test...

I found I can actually really shift fast if I finesse it like you said...I found I have to pull on the shifter towards 2nd and smoothly shift to second, not slamming it into gear like I used to, Im surprised at my results. I also found you must pull the shifter down into gear and not at an angle towards the driver... I think it may be grinding on the gate or somthing?I hope I can keep shifting it like this...

Quick Reply: For all those with a Diesel Geek race Short Shifter...