TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

amazing what a little firming up of the shocks did!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default amazing what a little firming up of the shocks did!

i'd been plagued by a feeling of twitchiness...some shifting when hitting bumps...and an overall feeling of the steering not feeling well connected.

i'd tried everything...multiple rechecks of the alignment, checks of all the bearings, checks to see if anything else was damaged when my subframe was bent up a few weeks ago etc.....nothing! After getting the subframe replaced...the feeling was still there....i had this feeling before the subframe was ever hit...

it occurred to me at work today, that i should firm up the Koni Shocks! up til now, i'd never touched the adjustable options on the shocks....i don't even think i REMEMBERED i had adjustable shocks, LOL....so i took out the little white adjuster, and firmed it up half circle and it was waaaaaaaay better than before. Twitching was drastically reduced.....no shifting in the rear end when going over bumps.....then got out and did another half circle (so total of full circle on each side) and SUCCESS!

the car feels razor sharp right now! amazing. over bumps, i feel everything again....none of this 'distance'

if you have adjustable shocks, once in a while maybe firm em up a tad bit....i was talking to mike at tyrolsport, and he was tellin me that over time, shocks get a bit looser....my Neuspeed springs are pretty tightly coiled (one of the highest spring compressions you can get on the TT), so firming up the shocks were definitely the best bet....

so nice to drive the car again....i had been silently worrying about this for weeks....but hoping to find the cause of this problem......
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: amazing what a little firming up of the shocks did!

glad to hear you figured things out. We still need to meet up soon. i made a decision on the grill. i will sell you the stock one with the flat black rings if you are still interested. im starting to feel the need for some adjustable suspension on this car so i can firm things up and lower it down a bit. stock ride height is not working for me.