TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

APR stage II with stock exhaust - problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR stage II with stock exhaust - problems?

I purchased a used APR chip v. 1.3 from a TT'r who was upgrading to an S$. The car runs fine with the chip, and is stronger, but I recently found out that the chip had been ordered with an exhaust, amking it a stage II chip. I rather like the TT's stock exhaust (I already have one minimially mufflered car), but is it it imperative that I get the chip reprogrammed?

Thanks<p>TT 180 - APR'd
Neon ACR - many mods, faster than stock 180 TT
Eurovan VR6
Old 07-17-2000, 02:11 PM
TTS

Default Re: APR stage II with stock exhaust - problems?

Shouldn't be a problem. The exhaust adds about 10HP, kind of expensive on a $ per HP basis. I would ask the guys at APR, they have always been honest and helpful to me. The link will give you a phone number and other good stuff.<ul><li><a href="http://www.goapr.com">http://www.goapr.com</a</li></ul>
Old 07-17-2000, 05:58 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't look at it as a power increase but rather an insurance policy on your turbo.

A stock exhaust with its associated back-pressure cause the turbo glow bright orange within seconds of maximum boost. A 2.5" system lowers it to a dull, faint glow. This is easily confirmable at night just by opening the hood after a hard run.

Probably wont affect your turbo within the warranty period and Audi knows that. But if you plan on owning the car post-warranty then you will probably replace a turbo sooner than one of us with larger exhaust. Audi knows that too.

I love it when I get more horsepower AND a longer living, better-running car. Bigger exhausts arent just for HP in a turbo application. Better gas mileage, better thermal efficiency, cooler running engine and longer turbo life should also be considered and expected. And in the case of Borla, negligible sound increase.

Your $400 is buying you a LOT more than 10HP in this case. Your call.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:34 AM

Default Re: APR stage II with stock exhaust - problems?

I originally wanted to order both the Borla and the chip from APR making it a Stage II but the Borla was out of stock and APR didn't have their own exhaust developed yet. So I got the chip + KN filter only(alot of guys say the filter gives '0' power gains). Steve at APR had indicated that there is no programming difference in the chip with or without the exhaust or filter. That means the chip is the same for stage I and II.<p>Darwin Wong