TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi tt smoking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi tt smoking

Hi guys new to this so if I've done it wrong I apologise right I have an Audi TT 180bhp it has a full stainless front-to-back with sports cat front mounted intercooler the problem I've got is smoke from the tailpipes I've got a brand new turbo brand new intercooler brand new exhaust system
I had the turbo fitted for the reason of smoke I have a new intercooler fitted as my old one was full of oil and a bit worse for wear the car stop smoking for a couple of weeks then started again I was told I probably had oil in my exhaust system and with not using the car a lot it wasn't burning away so me being me couldn't wait and bought a new exhaust it seemed to do the trick but now it's smoking again
I know what people will say valve stem seals but I have it on good authority they are ok as the car doesn't smoke on startup when it's running or when it's going downhill used to just smoke on idle when it was warm but now it's started smoking a little bit more I'm not losing oil I'm not losing water my oil is lovely and clean as is my water also my spark plugs iclean I've replaced the PCV system with a catch can system I have spent a lot of money on myTT as I love my car it drives well it has a lot of power also had a pressure check and I've got 165 PSI in each cylinder Bar One which has 163 PSI
Please please please can somebody steer me in the right direction as I really don't want to spend anymore money but I really don't want to get rid of my car thank you in advance
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're not losing oil or water, and you've been told your valve seals are good, why not just let it smoke? Are you running premium gas?

If you get complaints about the car smoking, tell 'em you couldn't find a nicotine patch for the car. I like throwing people for a 'loop'.

Last edited by JoeKan; 06-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JoeKan
If you're not losing oil or water, and you've been told your valve seals are good, why not just let it smoke? Are you running premium gas?

If you get complaints about the car smoking, tell 'em you could find a nicotine patch for the car. I like throwing people for a 'loop'.
Haha suppose I could get a decal for the bk No smoking
Thing is it's a roadster and it stinks also I like things right but its costing now and its playing with my mind 😂when I think its sorted poof out the 🤬smoke comes
Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Engine is running rich
Old 06-07-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Turbo seal me thinks

Well it's just got alot worst and we have finally found out the problem its the new turbo the seal has gone I'm well pissed photo is my down pipe and turbo what do you guys think
Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks pretty obvious. Think you've found your problem.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep thing is the first turbo I got was a recon from euro parts that just had no boost and sounded like it was scraping internally so took that back and bought a brand new one which was great no funny noises and all my power back but this has happened now so time for a refund me thinks dont you mate
Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Garrett, Period. New or remanufactured by Garrett. Who wants to do the job twice? Even if you get a no-charge replacement.

If the new one you bought was Garrett, I'd contact Garrett directly to verify you weren't sold a knock-off. Hard to believe they would have sold one that failed out of the box.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 06-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.