TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

back from dealer, 1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back from dealer, 1st oil change

and not much else.
While walking around the place, I was approached by a salesperson. During the conversation, he said that " your Mk1 TT is not a true sports car", and then talked about the new TT and the Cayman, nice cars,but what kind of a sales tactic is this?

06 225CQ
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well...Technically he was right....

It's a front wheel drive Golf platform that never really had any sporting intentions. The fact that it can be made to work pretty good is a credit to the design, but it's not a true "Sports Car". More a GT. The newer design is dynamically much improved and approaches what a true sports car is, but misses the mark a bit, especially when compared to a Boxster/Cayman..
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Well...Technically he was right....

Well I can underswtand and accept that idea. I will let the prejudice go as non intentional.

I am sticking with my TT, call it a GT or whatever. Still one great looking and driving sort of sports/GT ? designs ever in my book.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Technically...

there is no formal definition of "sports car." It means whatever anyone wants it to mean.

Who's to say that a Austin-Healey Sprite or Porsche Speedster is a sports car and an Audi TT isn't, when the TT can outperform either?

If you want to be picky, why do you consider a Cayman, which comes standard with air conditioning, a "sports car?"
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not a sales tactic. You've already purchased the car, correct?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coventional wisdom....>

A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. Often, performance cars of all configurations are grouped as Sports and GT cars, or, occasionally, as performance cars.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car">More here.....for what it's worth..</a></li></ul>
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's a sports car

It's a sports car the jerk at the dealership can eat a big fat one!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh how the tone changes when a new car is ordered...............u just better not don a pinkie ring

stock for stock you are right in that a cayman will beat a TT mkII on the track. BUT did you know the new chassis is SO damn bad *** that with suspension and some real tires it'll hand a Cayman S it's *** at Buttonwillow by 1.5 sec.!!!! both cars having LSDs added mind you.

check out the Stasis TT coupe at Waterfest if you get a chance.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, insulting your current car, probably isn't the best way to sell you a new one. :^)
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No it isn't, it has 4 seats (in the coupe at least) & lower insurance premiums. ;^)

Just don't tell the ins cos they are useless. :^)

Quick Reply: back from dealer, 1st oil change