TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Bigger Turbo in 180hp TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 07:05 AM
Jason

Default Bigger Turbo in 180hp TT

Has anyone on here fit a larger turbo on their 180hp TT? I have a Garrett T28 that I would like to put to use. I may have to make some custom fittings to get it in their, but should be worth it! I'm getting ready to do a full exhaust with a high flow cat and possibly some port work. That along with a larger turbo and the right software should get me close to 300hp. The stock fuel system appears to be able to handle that without any problems...
Old 02-22-2000, 08:01 AM
RichP

Are the 180 injectors the same size as the 225 injectors? Maybe you want a bigger intercooler too.
Old 02-22-2000, 08:20 AM
Jason

Default Re: Are the 180 injectors the same as the 225 injectors? Maybe you want a bigger intercooler to

From what I can tell so far the 225 uses the same fuel system, including injectors, as the 180. Just a different fuel mapping in the ECU.
The larger turbo running the same boost as stock even should make more power because the charge air will be cooler and make less work for the single intercooler to handle. As you increase boost on the smaller stock turbo the air charge temp increases significantly. Hotter intake air = less power and more detonation. When the ECU detects detonation in the cylinders it will retard your timing and cut back the boost level to try and protect the engine.
Old 02-22-2000, 08:48 AM
NJ-Eric

Default Cooler charge air = cooler exhaust and possible problems driving the larger turbo...

without modifying the housing (making it smaller). There is a balance that must be maintained in tuning your turbo.

BTW, any temperature taken away from the intake charge also comes off of the exhaust. Also, the intercooler is gonna do the same "work" regardless of what's going on upstream (at the turbo).

-EJS
Old 02-22-2000, 08:50 AM
Mark B

Default When speaking to Tod (?) at AWE he indicated that you could put the K04 (?) on the 180 with a...

2nd intercooler
Old 02-22-2000, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info on K04 Turbo and 2nd intercooler from Todd@Air and Water

----- Original Message -----
To: jenner@neca.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: TT Brakes, 2nd intercooler and K04 turbo

Hi Jenner,

>Hey Todd. A few questions for you.
>Have you installed a K04 turbo or a 2nd intercooler in a TT yet?
>What are the hardware and labor costs for each of these?

<I>We have had a lot of trouble getting ahold of the transverse style K04s. They are different than the A4/B5 K04s. We have one on a 1.8T NB and are completing chip work for it. We really want to offer a K04/intercooler upgrade for the TT ASAP, but have no current ETA.

Regards,
Todd
AWE Tuning
215-753-8203
Orderline 888-565-2257
http://www.awe-tuning.com
</I>

----- End of Message -----<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com">http://www.awe-tuning.com</a</li></ul>
Old 02-22-2000, 11:31 AM
Mark B

Default Are you seriosly considering this Jenner? I was thinking about it, but not for another year at least

What kind of cost do you think this would come to?

I was kind of thinking $3-4000 all told, but have very little idea.
Old 02-22-2000, 11:31 AM
Jason

Default Re: Cooler charge air = cooler exhaust and possible problems driving the larger turbo...

Think you have that backwards about the intercooler. The air goes through the turbo BEFORE it gets to the intercooler. The intercooler is very effected by what the turbo does because if the charge air is too hot the intercooler can saturate rendering it almost useless.
Old 02-22-2000, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price for K04 "kit" for A4/Passat is just under $2000, 2nd intercooler would add $500-$1000?(more)

I mainly wrote him asking what the costs and labor estimates would be. If its in my budget it is something I might like to pursue later on in 2000(this isn't something I am planning on doing tomorrow). I'm mostly interested in the 2nd intercooler. I would love for it to be a cheap upgrade since the mounting for it already exists, but I have a feeling it will be a really $$ one that won't add much power but will allow the engine to handle higher hp/torque figures. Obviously the K04 and 2nd intercooler would go hand in hand, BUT I don't think the A4's running K04's have 2 intercoolers, so I'm really interested in seeing what its price vs. performace is. I am 90% sure in order to break my current planned top end of 220hp,285ft/lbs.(via Garrett's lastest version chip and a borla exhaust) I would have to go K04/2nd intercooler, and I am still researching if new fuel injectors would be needed, I know that new spark plugs would be.

Also this "Extrude Honed exhaust manifold" is offered as something to upgrade with a K04 "kit" it adds on another few $$ and I'm not sure what the benefits would be. I'll stay in touch with Todd and if an opportunity comes up, maybe I can pioneer this for the forum and give feedback, but I have a feeling that someone with more money than myself will or has already beat me to it

Time will tell....

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett, H&R Sport Springs<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/k04-turbo.cfm">K04 A4 upgrade @ AWE</a></li></ul>
Old 02-22-2000, 12:31 PM
NJ-Eric

Default Upstream means before...

but what do I know?

Good luck on your project.

-EJS

Quick Reply: Bigger Turbo in 180hp TT