TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Boost machine -> Norgren relief valve spring is rated at 0-10 PSI.. why not 0-30psi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost machine -> Norgren relief valve spring is rated at 0-10 PSI.. why not 0-30psi?

Lots of info on this forum on the Boost Machine, TTSchwing, thanks for the write ups and photos you've got! =)

I had a little problem with the boost machine not going above 15 PSI's... Pulled my VAG out and the MAF Sensor is too high dialed the boost down a little... cleared it and works great!

The relief valve I ordered from norgren is rated at 0-10 PSI's (V07-100-NNAA). Wouldn't it be better if you can get boost higher in lower gear?
The only other spring Norgren carries is the 0-50 PSI rated spring, just pull out the spring from the Relief valve and replace it. Part number is 613-03.

It will spool the turbo up faster to 20+ PSI in the first gear. This is something I cannot do yet.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The relief valve should be set to open at a very low pressure....>>

Just a couple of PSI actually. It's only there to prevent wastegate creep and set the onset. The onset with our small turbos comes in pretty early so you need to barely open this one. You've got a regulator plumbed in too I hope?
You don't want, nor will you get Unregulated high boost levels in the lower gears..
Old 03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, got a regulator from MetalWorks, still waiting on the check valve >>

If I am to replaced the spring to the 50PSI one, I have to be very careful not to set the relief valve a higher setting than the regulator.

I am still tempted to try out the spring, of course it's not for everyday driving... wouldn't the relief valve set at 15+ PSI and regulator at 24PSI will make the car more responsive?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default No No No......>

Read again. Do not put a higher rated spring in the relief valve. You want this to open at minimal PSI. Go back and re-read the Autospeed articles and the FAQ...You are not understanding how this works..<ul><li><a href="http://www.personal.kent.edu/~cplasket/BMFAQ.htm">Boost machine FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 03-30-2004, 04:47 PM

Default My 2 cents.. or, "I had to try to build a better mouse trap"

Here's my input.
In an attempt to over engineer the process of the Boost Machine, I decided to use a precision relief valve and regulator with electronic control. I also had them calibrated. Then I consumed the better part of a weekend plumbing it with tansducers so I could read the pressure at the 3 points along the path. I then took the bundle, shoved it into my 225QC, ran the wires out the hood, through the window and into the car. End of weekend. Car not running, leave it for next weekend.

Next weekend. I of course hooked all of this menagerie plus the transducer measuring the boost pressure to a AB slc500. Then I took the DH+ from the plc into the laptop I was using to diag.
Ok. so now you have the picture. I've got the front seat all the way forward, plc in the trunk, friend Jeff in the back seat with the laptop. I tried everything including my origanol thought of putting the regulator and relief within 1 psi of each other.
The moral of the story is that anyone with 4 days and $800 could repeat this. (I "borrowed" the pressure transducers and scl500 from work) I found that it was much better planning it out and building it then it was using it. Setting the valves close to each other makes the car undriveable. BTW, I haven't tried the regular boost machine... maybe its just not complicated enough. Or maybe its just easier to take the 996 out, either way thats my $0.02

andrew
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Andrew....That's a great story..>>>

I laughed. It's really not rocket science though. With about 1/2 hour of manual tuning in, it works great! Try to K.I.S.S it again...:-)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Whats the fun in that?????

Simple is not nearly as fun as complex...
I was hoping to bestow unpon AudiWorld Data the likes of which they had never seen. No good...
I should have just taken a picture of the wireloom running through the window.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default LOL......:-)....>>

I've got My firewall grommet so stuffed with wiring that anything else I do will have to go outside and through the window!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:19 PM

Default more complex = a better chicken/ (not applicable to your TT)

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but she's very happy with the 3 zone PID controlled oven. (I didn't run the wires through the door)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Double LOL..

Quick Reply: Boost machine -> Norgren relief valve spring is rated at 0-10 PSI.. why not 0-30psi?