TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Boost machine question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost machine question...

I installed my sTTainless TTDA and boost machine this weekend. I have been trying to tune in the boost machine. I am still running a stock ecu, so I'm not trying to go overboard or anything yet, just add a few psi and smooth out the spikes. Anyway, I'm turned up about 3.5 turns, and each time I turn it up it seems to make a difference at first and then the boost returns back to where it has been. Is the ECU correcting everytime I turn it up or does it sound like I have a bad DV or something? I'm holding steady at about 12 psi which is where it has been since the cold weather rolled in. I'm not hearing any weird sounds from the DV.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You're right on the edge of adjustment....>

Usually 4-4.5 is where it will end up. Carefully dial it up a little more, and drive awhile to let it adapt a bit. Throwing too many variables at the ECU at once will result in some awkward adaptation (IE TTDA and BM)...Cold temps will naturally return less boost (ECU controlled) but you'll be able to get more than that out of it!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Default cool, thanks Steve...

I did drive about 50 miles with just the TTDA before I started tuning the boost machine. I'm only trying to hit a steady 17 or 18 psi, will I still need to go up to 4-4.5 turns? I could notice the ecu adapting to the TTDA and it kept getting better and better. I can really notice the breathing difference the TTDA made. The car pulls strong all the way to redline where it used to fall on it's face after 5200 rpm or so. I've had to adjust my shift points accordingly, so I'm still getting used to it. I'll post my full impression after I have a few more days with it, but I can tell you already, I am very happy with it. It's a quality product. well, back out to tune the boost machine.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Thanks! It'll all settle in with a little time/tuning..:-)
Old 01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man - I cant wait for my turn!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So will the TTDA and BM make noticable improvements w/o a chip?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:01 PM

Default The TTDA already makes a noticable difference...

as far as the boost machine goes, raising boost is raising boost. that's where the chips get most of their power gain. The advantage of the upgraded ecu is better adaptation to mods and better ignition and fuel mapping. I'll be upgrading the ECU before long though.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same situ here. Unchipped 225. I started out timidly at 3 turns cuz these guys were talking about

20+psi at 5 turns!!! I think somebody needs to have their gauges recalibrated...LOL

What I've found...for whatever reason...is that 6 turns on boost and 2 full turns on onset gets me about 16psi peak out on the highway and usually holds just a pound or two under that. It also comes on at just the right time and curve to make the car easy and fun to drive around town. While this is not the miraculous transformation that others claim to have experienced, it is definetly $150 bucks worth of improvement.

On the chip front, I finally got to drive a chipped 225 last night. I'm afraid my own little unchipped TT may have spoiled me, because I just didn't end up as impressed as I'd expected to be after listening to you guys rave for two years.
So I'm afraid that's going back to the bottom of the list for a while.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Exactly...The boost machine comes into it's own..>>

with chipped mapping and more fueling, timing, and boost potential.....
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Killjoy! >>>>

think in terms of putting those two mods together!
you need to experience modshack stage 3...that is all! hhehe

;^P

Quick Reply: Boost machine question...