TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Brakes on 2000 TT QC

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on 2000 TT QC

I need to put new pads on the rear brakes of my 2000 TTQC. Is it necessary to use the official Audi tool to push the piston back in? On all my past cars (none were Audi), I would just use a large "C" clamp. This piston does not want to move with a C clamp, so I stopped my work until I get an answer.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunding
I need to put new pads on the rear brakes of my 2000 TTQC. Is it necessary to use the official Audi tool to push the piston back in? On all my past cars (none were Audi), I would just use a large "C" clamp. This piston does not want to move with a C clamp, so I stopped my work until I get an answer.
You don't need the official Audi tool, however you do need the tool that rotates the piston as well as pushing on it. Harbor freight sells it for around $30 and many places like autozone rent/loan it.

It's pretty common on many European, Japanese cars with rear disc brakes. The ones that don't have a separate disc brake pad for the emergency brake. I bought mine on sale for $20 and have used on all our Audis, Acuras , Toyotas and Lexus.

Lisle makes a cheap tool that you can use with a socket extension and handle, you might need to grind the pins to get it to fit the notches in the piston but it works OK.

If the pads are really worn it sometimes necessary to back the piston out a bit more and remove some tension before you can get it to re-thread.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, it turns out that I already have the tool from Lisle which I have tried to no avail. The pads were extremely worn. I will try backing it out and give it another shot.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunding
Thanks, it turns out that I already have the tool from Lisle which I have tried to no avail. The pads were extremely worn. I will try backing it out and give it another shot.
The problem with the cube tool is that it requires you to put the pressure on the piston.

The real tool has a backing plate that fits up against the inside face of the outer caliper so as you turn the tool it applies more pressure to the piston.

This is the harbor freight version , my local Schucks/ O'Reillys has a loaner like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/caliper...kes-40732.html

I used the cube a couple of times but I after doing enough brake jobs for family and friends I decided I didn't want to get stuck "up a certain creek" on a Sunday Morning. If your car has ever experienced salt in it's life that might not help things.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I backed it off and tried it again, and after a few tries it worked. My car is fixed. I am going to Harbor Freight and buy that kit. Looks like a good deal.

Thanks for your help.