TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Broken tach advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken tach advice

Hey guys, hooked up the TT to a vag-com yesterday to try and diagnose my broken tach, and it did not respond to the cluster test.

So what are the possibilities? I know it is most likely a mechanical problem, but could it possibly be a faulty connection on the back? There is also an aftermarket stereo installed, and I've heard that can cause all kinds of problems. All the other gauges work.

How would you proceed? Are there any other tests or tricks I can try to confirm it's mechanical? I don't want to spend a bunch to have it fixed, plus have it sit for weeks while I wait.

And if I need to have it fixed, where should I take/send it?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyAudi
Hey guys, hooked up the TT to a vag-com yesterday to try and diagnose my broken tach, and it did not respond to the cluster test.

So what are the possibilities? I know it is most likely a mechanical problem, but could it possibly be a faulty connection on the back? There is also an aftermarket stereo installed, and I've heard that can cause all kinds of problems. All the other gauges work.

How would you proceed? Are there any other tests or tricks I can try to confirm it's mechanical? I don't want to spend a bunch to have it fixed, plus have it sit for weeks while I wait.

And if I need to have it fixed, where should I take/send it?
BB manufacturing and ModuleMaster can fix it. You will need to remove it and send it to them. They have instructions on how to remove it on their site.

If you replace the cluster (not repair) you will also need the immobilizer reset by the dealer.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I think replacement is out of the question because of the cost, so I guess I'll have to send it out for repair.