TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Buyer's Remorse? Here's Why.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer's Remorse? Here's Why.

OK...I'll back off. I bought the 2002 pristine Audi TT, 225hp, Amulet, Coupe, 20K easy miles, 6-speed, always garaged, Bose, Xenon, Heated Seats, like new inside and out......because my wife thought it was "cute" and would be a good family car (for two, obviously). I was disappointed with everything but the looks (which are STUNNING, I'll openly admit and will even notarize if you wish). I'm hoping that at some point they'll put a real engine in the car and some decent suspension...something you'd expect to come stock with a car that cost $41K just two years ago and looks like a sports car. I'm counting on solid German technology and car/engine longevity to pull me out of the hole on this one because depreciation caught up with me the second I signed the check to buy. We had a Camry that was our daily driver before and it was...well you know...a POS that simply wouldn't die. Camry performance? Hahahahaha! But I do hope the TT lives as long. For track days and serious fast driving...I'll use the Porsche. My previous car? A 32 Plymouth Street Rod with a 'vette engine, posi, turbo-hydro trans, suicide doors, tilt, tint, buckets, etc.. Nice? Well...it looked cool but performed only in a straight line and at about 125mph you could turn the steering wheel and the car wouldn't steer (it was starting to go airborne with the big fenders!). I'm glad the TT has a spoiler. And, up to 80mph...the TT's not too bad against the Porsche..but you have to be hot on the shift points because the torque band is narrow. The 350Z is reminiscent in shape but it's a Ricer and the build quality isn't as good as the TT...but 300 Z-horses!?. Not bad bang for the buck...and as you guys put it...everybody and their dog is getting a Z. There are now three in my town. Another plus of the TT, is that I have the only one in town (pop 20,000). I guess that's worth something.

That's one reason I was jerking your chain a bit...searching for serious and candid responses about the TT to make me feel better about the purchase. It sounds like mods are the only way to go if you want to make the car perform better...or sell and buy a....uh...different and less attractive car...and maybe for a bit more money. But, with mods, how much money will one put into the car that they'll never recoup? I sure have taken a hosing on mods to previous cars(Unless you plan on keeping the car a long time...and some do). Frankly, one downside of the Porsche is that no one really expects it to cost so much to maintain and insure and many owners get disillusioned....and those costs quickly can eat you up. Not so with the TT, I'm expecting. But can the 4-banger hold up to the HP mods without becoming a black hole? I'm sorry that I'm disappointed and will probably drop off the list. You sound like a nice group of guys...Sorry that I'm not more excited about the TT. Thank goodness it's great looking. But cars are like women...I don't think you should get them based on looks alone. But my wife did and she's happy. That brings along with it some benefits that one can't put a price on. So, I'll shut up.

H2
Old 02-21-2005, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sure ........

you will shut up - sure, uh huh, ok .....

And anyway, I bought my TT because I love it and I am confident that I almost always will.

If you are buying to resell, then buy a honda :-)
Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chip it and ypu'll have 256BHP. Suspension will make the car handle...>>

Audi's are great cars and will last as long as the camary but you'll enjoy the TT more.

Some have over 100K and the car still puts a smile on their faces. I've had the car for 5 years and no major problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Thanks, Robert, that gives me hope.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Could be way worse------------

The other half of my garage is occupied by a fwd Lexus RX 300 because---"my wife thought it was "cute" and would make a good family car"
---- only two of us also. I just hate the darn thing. Trucks should be trucks and cars should be cars. This thing is just a tall car that feels like it is going to get me killed every time I turn or brake sharply. I can't figure how they are so highly rated. It is built to a very high quality standard. I guess that should count for something. As long as I don't have to drive it.
I have a TT and a GMC Savannah with Geneva interior. I like them both. Each is purpose built. I am dangerous in the 300 RX I try to stay out of it. Darn thing will probably last forever. We don't put 10,000 miles per year on it.
Which Porsche do you drive? There was a 914 in my past, and an Opel GT way back when. I probably remember them way faster than they were. If I could have had a TT like mine in 1970-------Now that would have been something.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The TT will grow on you...

The TT is a great car, you just need to spend more time in it driving. I bought my wife a roadster, and I am smitten with the car. I have an A4, am a mechanic, and think the TT is an extremely well designed and produced car.

It's an Audi, though - don't expect it to be as maintenance free as a camry. You DO need to learn how to do some work yourself - and you do need to pay attention to the health of the car. Use Mobil1 0W40, and keep the intake clean.

The stock suspension is horrible - new shocks will make a big difference in ride comfort and feel.

Maybe you need a carbon blast, or maybe you have a broken boost or vacuum hose? In perfect running condition, your engine is very fast.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changes the shocks/struts to Billsteins. Handling will improve dramatically.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Default go test drive other cars...

I drove everything that you could even compare the TT to for the money. 350Z, S2000, Z3, RX-8, and the list goes on and on. Before I bought the TT my friends were making fun of me because I spent as much time looking for a car as I did working. Truth be told, I wasn't even looking at TTs. A salesman told me I should test drive one after I spoke with him about the other cars I had been looking at. It was actually a 180 quattro coupe, so it didn't have as much power as I wanted, but it hands down beat all the others in terms of handling, looks, room (I know the rear seats are useless, but it's still cargo room), luxury features, interior design, and practicality (the AWD makes it a great winter car). I soon found a 225 TT QC which had enough power to keep me happy initially, and I have't regretted the purchase one bit. I have been adding small mods to make the car more suitable to my tastes, but the way I see it, you have a fine suit tailored to fit, why not a fine automobile. My advice, do the mods needed to overcome the weaknesses you find, you'll be a happy man.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've said it before.... buy used!

Got mine for $11K under the sticker with only 3800 miles on it. The previous owner was the wife of the service manager at my dealership, and traded it in on an A4 Cab.

Also bout my wife's A4 used, not quite the same depreciation but still got thousands off of an almost brand new car.

Plus both of them are CPO, both good for 100k miles or 12/31/2009.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sell it ASAP!

Personally, I don't believe in the "maybe it'll grow on me" logic.

You either love the car or you don't.
If what you feel is the latter, I suggest you find something that appeals to your taste. Trust me, saving on the depreciation hit will not make up for it.

Take your time to find someone who will fall in love with it and buy it at reasonable price to cut your losses a bit.

Bottom line, it is all about what *YOU* want. If what you want hasn't been found in the TT..move on otherwise you'll never be quite satisfied.

I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it on a TV commercial. Yes, the looks are stunning. Performance is there.

It is a sports car. I believe it is simply because I get tailgated a lot, cut off by folks who want to challenge it. People check stats and numbers they know. Mostly, it performs really well under various and extreme conditions (especially in snow and rain).

If it weren't a sport car, Road & Track or Car & Drivers Magz wouldn't bother doing comparos to other sports cars.

It is slower than a lot of the newer cars out there and is even a bit dated(1996).

Think about cars that came out around the same time: Z3, Boxter, Lexus SC430. Their body styles look very dated today.

People still think my TT is brand new. The style is fresh and always will be.

I have my own reasons for loving it.
I believe that there is no middleground. Love it or Hate it(don't like it, I think it's ok, it's alright, not bad...all that falls under the "hate" category, IMHO).

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse? Here's Why.