TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A/C Fan- final post on topic

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Fan- final post on topic

Folks, there is a ton of info in this forum on AC related issues. Somehow, I am missing the key to solving the problem and face the prospect otaking this beast into the Stealer.

I wanted to make one more desperate attempt to have a savant from the forum give me a hand.

-I have no AC...it blows warm.

-Refrigerant is FULL.

-Driver's side radiator fan does NOT come on. Other passenger side aux fan does.

-Car does not overheat. Temp guage goes to exactly middle.

-Fuses on battery top are fine and we have continuity there.

-I smelled a electrical burning smell just before the cold air went bye-bye

-I havent been able to find anything fried yet

-Fan controller seems healthy (I had a loose wire to battery once which made me go thru this a few yrs ago, and I replaced fan controller then)

Question, if A/C compressor clutch goes bad, would that cause my fan to not operate?

I'm thinking that it must be the fan given the circumstances but I'm looking for opinions.

Any would be welcomed.

Thanks,

wyaTT
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Rest In Peace

your temp gauge is not a good barometer. Check your temps via the HVAC controls which is well documented.

If your AC is off (that includes not being in AUTO mode) then your second fan will kick on at 106Celcius which you can track via the HVAC.

If you do not reach that temp and you are smelling something, it could be the AC clutch...

When you run the AC (Auto counts), both fans should be on...period, regardless of temps. If that is not the case, could be fan or fan relay switch, which is also prone to failure...
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you ever find the problem??
Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

If only ONE fan works when you put the AC is COLD, then the FCM or fan is likely bad, or the fuse atop the battery.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gaber6
Did you ever find the problem??
Nope. I think I will have to replace the fan.

BTW, here's a question? Is the FCM and fan relay the same thing?

Another question....If the AC clutch fries itself, would this prevent my fanb from running?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

i have a problem with my air con.it will blow really ice cold for the first couple of miles or approx 5/8 mins then it blows warm air.i have checked all the usual things&everything is ok.you could check to see if your air con compressor is turning round when you turn on the air con.the pulley for the air con is in the middle of the pulley which is connected to the air con compressor,dont think because the outer pulley is turning that it is working,it is the actual centre of the pulley that turns&only turns when you activate the air con.i only know this because that is the problem i have !!!!when my air con is blowing cold i look at the centre pulley&its turning as soon as my air con goes warm ilook at the centre of the pulley & it has stopped turning!! i have been advised on another forum that the clutch in the compressor could be faulty but i dont want to buy a new compressor until i find out for sure that it is the actual compressor that is faulty.if anybody has any ideas i would be grateful for them
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wyaTT
Nope. I think I will have to replace the fan.

BTW, here's a question? Is the FCM and fan relay the same thing?

Another question....If the AC clutch fries itself, would this prevent my fanb from running?
Mine went out about 2 months ago. It was a SOB to diagnose. I replaced the Fan Control Module (which is same as relay) and that didn't fix issue. Finally took it to dealer since I know the service writer. He had a tech look @ it and it took him 4 hours to figure out the issue. The Fuse box above the battery was bad but there were no visible marks on top. There was a small hairline crack in it underneath it. I had used a light tester on the top of the Fusebox and everything 'appeared' to be good. I never thought to thoroughly check the underside of the fuse panel.

Good luck