TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Coil-overs and mountain snow...a reluctant post...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil-overs and mountain snow...a reluctant post...

We have been getting snow at the higher elevations and I've been doing a bit of testing up there b/4 the backroads are closed for the season. @ 25" from ground to fender arches TT is too low. Pan is dragging on snow and frozen snow which is really going to present a problem when the heavy stuff comes in. Either the coil-overs are going to have to come off (presently at highest setting) or I'm going to have to stay out of the ski slopes and park it. I WANT this car for year round use. So,I'm going t/b looking @ Bilstein sports/stock springs for winter. Hope that reports Bilstein has released struts/shocks is true.

Something else to consider when selecting coil-overs for folks living in heavy winter weather.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:23 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this, but good thing you tested sooner rather than later!
Old 11-02-2000, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for report -- glad you convinced me to not coil-over.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:43 AM
Elder Member

Default I will have to measure my car, but I think I might be about the same ride height . . .

I drove all winter last year through snow and ice . . . Didn't notice problems. But I didn't hit any ski resorts or the like.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:52 AM

b.ganTT...anybody...# for Automotive Performance Systems? No web found.
Old 11-02-2000, 06:56 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am unable to lower my coilovers' adjusters...

I had the rear bolts slotted to allow for camber adjustment, but couldn't get the rear adjusters to lower. The rear was off of the ground, fully unloaded, but no go. The fellow at a high-quality alignment shop could barely get it to budge, and neither could I. Have you (or anyone else) had this problem?
Old 11-02-2000, 07:25 AM
Elder Member

Default They are actually Neuspeed!

1-800-423-3623

or go to their website:<ul><li><a href="http://www.neuspeed.com">Neuspeed; aka Automotive Performance Systems!</a></li></ul>
Old 11-02-2000, 07:47 AM

Default Perhaps this idea is not so off-the-wall on the H&R rear coil-overs...

Must be something unique with rear-end on roadster. Broken adjuster and now buttered threads that prevent adjustment. Hummmm. For the rest of us (you too, I believe) we all live with a thump that no one is enamored with.

I have e-mailed Stephen three times with questions about lastest revision w/o a response (10/4, 10/23 & today). Seems Steve has gone from super responsive to zilch. Apparently he is not dead as posts on this board indicated he was at the Monterey event. Anyhow, I wanted to see if latest revision is a thump eliminator. No idea what is going on there.

I have seriously been considering losing the rear end setup altogether (w/o regard to above post) and asking Steve for a set of sport springs while keeping A3 shock on rear. And, adjusting front coil-overs to match rear. It's funky and rear adjustability is lost but, the thumping with windows up in the winter is proving t/b really annoying sometimes. Performance is top notch but it comes at a price with this configuration. Anchoring adjusters appears to play a roll equal to stacked coils in generating "The Thump".

LarryTT, if you are reading this...do you have a rear end thump with your H&R sport springs and stock Monro shocks?

What do you think brad? Sport springs, A3 shock and forget about the whole adjuster configuration?
Old 11-02-2000, 07:48 AM

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2000, 07:53 AM
Elder Member

Default I don't have a thump . . .

I had a very harsh ride, but have since lowered my tire pressures to 29.5 psi in the rear, the front are 32-33psi. That helped quite a bit! No more bone jarring hits on pot holes or even regular cracks in the pavement!

I have only heard the springs bounce a few times and that was before I lowered the rear pressures. I think the back of the car was bouncing off the ground and the springs were leaving their perches and making a noise when resettling into place.

I do know that the springs have made rust spots on each of the coils from stacking onto to each other. I was not very happy with that, but the performance is great!

I will be doing coil-overs most likely in January, but with a different company in all likely hood. Nothing to do with any problems with the H&R I am just getting a semi-sponsorship deal on something else.

Quick Reply: Coil-overs and mountain snow...a reluctant post...