TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Comparison between my new Boxster S and my TT (NSX info also)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison between my new Boxster S and my TT (NSX info also)

For those that do not know I bought a Silver Boxster S on Thursday. I have had a 180 Quattro Coupe TT for about a year now. Few comments between cars...

1.) The TT feels "quicker" while the Boxster S feels much more powerful. I think the quicker feeling comes from the fact that the TT feels lighter, a little more nimble on its feet, and is turbo charged. The Boxster S has a VERY nice pull from 2000 RPMS all the way up to redline. It has a much sweeter sounding engine, partly because it is directly behind the passengers.

2.) The TT controls (clutch, gas, breaks) are much much lighter then the Boxster S. When I swapped back I smashed the clutch in, since I was used to something with a little more spring to it. But both are feathers compared to the NSX.

3.) While I enjoy several point of the TT interior, I love the aluminum all over, but the Boxster S has quite a bit itself. All the gauges are trimmed in aluminum ( I also really like the white faces, with orange backlighting of the gauges), plus the door handles are aluminum and a few other spots. I am torn between the gauges on the TT and the Boxster, since both are very cool in their own way, the Boxster is much more "artsy"- with half moons, sharp lines, with a digital and analog Speedo. The TT has much more racing type gauges. I do like the Tach on the Boxster in the center though.

3.) Exterior, well let me say this, both are beautiful in their own respects. The Boxster has some very beautiful curves over the wheel wells. Not to mention the kick *** spoiler- Audi if you read this, get a clue and make an electronic spoiler. The Boxster is much closer to a race car then the TT, not even close the function of the NSX. The TT seems to have a more lush feeling to it, where as the Boxster is much more "Porsche".

4.) People are much less friendly then the TT people I know. I have seen probably 4 Porsches since I got the car, and about 3 TT's. None of the Porsche people wave back, yet when I drive the TT, other TT drivers seem to be almost as excited as I am.

Bottom line for my toys :-)
Boxster S is a very fun, fast, and convertible. What I missed out on the TT I made up on the Boxster S. The TT is a wonderful toy, with a real awesome fresh look to it, a much more expensive feel to it. The NSX is definitely hand down a race car. The normal stock ones are between race car and sports car, function over form, and I am sure Dr. Fastlane would agree. Since the NSX is highly modified it sits way up there as a pure breed race car. With the Boxster on the high end sports car level and the TT right behind it, if not at the same level, but if a different way.

Don't worry the TT will get as much attention as the Boxster. I wonder if this is the feeling new fathers get ;-)

Enjoy your cars!

PS: I appiled for my custom plates, either: fly low, flyin low, or bye bye (last one was not my idea)
Old 07-14-2001, 02:14 PM

nice stable!
Old 07-14-2001, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :-)

It is funny, my friend used to come to my apartment and since I had SO much electronic equipment (computers, stereo stuff, etc) that I have megahertz to spare, that you could feel them all around you. Now they come over and comment how they can feel the lbs of torque and all the horses in the garage. I guess the themes change, but friends never grow up
Old 07-14-2001, 02:34 PM

Very interesting, and from someone who has no agenda. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2001, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any time
Old 07-14-2001, 04:28 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tom and enjoy!
Old 07-14-2001, 05:08 PM

Default Great write up.

All three cars definately offer three different driving experiences. The TT more of a sport touring coupe, the Boxster as a sports car (great brakes), and the NSX as a road prepped race car indeed. It seems like you have the best of both worlds plus one.

BTW, I noticed that the TT clutch that I test drove was very light, but my NSX clutch feels light too. Maybe you need an adjustment.

Cheers
-Robert
Old 07-14-2001, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe the NSX clutch was replaced (I believe) with a more heavy duty clutch

since it was fitted with quite a bit of racing equipment. One thing I found odd, was that they used the original seats and attached the 5 point harnesses to those, rather then into some Sparco seats.

The Boxster S seems to be right in the middle of both cars, plus it is a convertable (rather then a T-Top and a Coupe)
Old 07-15-2001, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Comparison between my new Boxster S and my TT (NSX info also)

Hi Tom!
Nicely summarized. I have an 00 S, and have just last week added an 01 TT. I have a slight more Boxster bias than you, but I had it first. I agree that neither is better nor worse, just different.

WRT #4, there are more poseurs amongst Porsche owners, but you will find there is a loyal, enthusiastic, and active Boxster following out there.

Enjoy!<ul><li><a href="http://www.986board.com">Porsche Pete's Boxster Board</a></li></ul>
Old 07-16-2001, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Comparison between my new Boxster S and my TT (NSX info also)

Hey,

I would sure like to check out your Boxter sometime....

Greg

Quick Reply: Comparison between my new Boxster S and my TT (NSX info also)