TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Considering the 225TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the 225TT

Hey all!

This is my first time posting here. I have been following this forum for a while now here and there because I am highly considering picking up a 225TT coupe. I am just wondering what the aftermarket potential is, in general, for the 225TTC and what I could see performance wise if I really decided to do alot of aftermarket engine work. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2001, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Im in the same situation as you and I plan to

get the soon to be released APR stage 3 program, well after I get the 225 this week. 300bhp in the TT would make the car PERFECT. First thing that Im going to do is upgrade that ECU to get the horsepower up to the 250 mark!
Old 06-24-2001, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soon to be released?

didn't know it was that close to market. Any sources confirm this, perhaps APR itself? And what about price?

Not trying to flame you, just curious.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check their website...

http://www.goapr.com/vehicles/tt225.html

APR Transverse 1.8T Stage III Upgrade

COMING SOON!!!

APR Stage III is our cutting-edge turbo upgrade for your 1.8T-powred Golf/GTI, Jetta, Beetle, or TT. We at APR have worked long and hard to bring you the finest 1.8T upgrade available. Both kits are made with the best materials and engineering available, from the exhaust manifold to the hose clamps. APR Stage III is offered in both a regular 280 HP version and Stage III+ 310 HP version. Stage III+ includes a different turbocharger and a front mount intercooler that fits with the factory front bumper cover. Our Stage III kit consists of the following components:

APR Investment Cast Inconel Exhaust Manifold
Garrett/Allied Signal Ballistic Series Ball-Bearing Turbocharger
APR High Flow Catalytic Converter
APR Custom Cast Urethane and Silicone Intake Hoses
APR High Flow Fuel Injectors
All Associate Plumbing and Hardware
The most important part of the Stage III kit is the exhaust manifold. APR has spent enormous time and resources developing the turbo manifold. The exhaust manifold has been designed in Pro/Engineer 20, a 3-D modeling package and validated extensively on the computer using Exa Powerflow, a CFD analysis program. By performing a computational fluid dynamics analysis, we were able to study exhaust flow, pressure drops, and fluid flow through the exhaust manifold. Multiple computer simulations were done to prove the design before we even had a physical manifold in our hand.

Once the manifold was fully passed on the computer we had the exhaust manifold CAD file transferred to a rapid prototyping machine. A polycarbonate exhaust manifold was cast from the prototyping machine. With this plastic manifold we were able to mock everything up in the test vehicle before proceeding to the next process.

From the polycarbonate piece we were able to cast a metal piece for prototyping. The metal used for the prototype and the production manifold is Inconel 625. Inconel is a very high quality (yet expensive and difficult to machine) metal that is used extensively in the racing and aeronautical industry (Audi Sport sells an Inconel exhaust manifold for $10,000). Inconel has excellent heat retention characteristics that work to enhance turbo response by keeping exhaust velocities high. We guarantee that this manifold will never crack. Furthermore, the production manifold is cast using a lost-wax process versus a traditional sand-casting process. This process is more expensive but gives a much higher quality part with better tolerances, no parting lines, and a smoother surface finish (the internal surfaces feel like they have been Extrude Honed).

The exhaust manifold is mated to a Garrett turbocharger that replaces the stock Triple K K03 turbocharger. We chose to use a Garrett turbocharger in lieu of a Triple K unit for several reasons. First of all, the new Garrett GT-Series is a more efficient design than the old Triple K K-24 turbocharger used by one of our competitors (the K-24's design dates back to the mid 70's). The Garrett turbocharger we have selected is a 1990's design. Also, Garrett turbochargers are available in a wider variety of configurations than the Triple K line, which allowed us to find a more exact match. The stock injectors are maxed out at power levels much over 220HP and consequently the fuel injectors have been replaced by larger units. Dialing in the injectors required many hours on the chassis dynamometer to achieve the proper fuel mixture throughout the entire rpm range.