TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertible top handle snapped off in my hand - WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top handle snapped off in my hand - WTF?!?

Drove to Boston last night and went to put my top up when I got there. I pulled it down just like I always do - no excess force or what have you and the friggin handle came off in my hand! Let me just tell you what a **** it is trying to pull the top down and turn the latch mechanism without that handle. I'm just glad/lucky it wasn't raining. Knowing my dealership, I figured they'd give me grief about it not being covered under warranty but they were surprisingly cool about it.

It's sh*t like this that makes me really question the build quality of the car. Have never really had any major engine problems, etc. It's always just piddly things like this.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well...

I'm sure the TT isn't the first $40K car that had a minor part break....
I agree, it seems to have a little more than its share of minor woes, but I'll bet if you sniffed around other marques, you'd find other people with similar complaints. Anyway, the problems don't seem to be with build (assembly) quality so much as using inferior parts in some areas (such as the lousy shocks, the bubbly tires, the defective DV, ...). The dumb part is that by spending small amounts of money, they could upgrade these troublesome parts and eliminate a lot of complaints. But they don't seem to be interested (?). I dunno. On the other hand, such changes can take a while (e.g., years) to get into the build pipeline, so who knows...