TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Dealings at dealerships....long

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealings at dealerships....long

I go there tell them the car makes tapping sound or rattle when cut wheel all the way in reverse. I take the shop foreman on a road test and prove the rattle. He comes back and he starts asking me about my cat and exhaust system he tries's to say it's the heat shield vibrating. I said I don't think so I told him I think it's the power steering pump. Then he tells me I might have got the belt wet or lubricated with cleaning solution when I was cleaning the car. I laughed. He proceeds to take it up on the lift and starts tapping the skid plate and tells me there's a 2 screws missing and that's the noise I'm hearing. I tell him I don't think so...I told him fine put some screws in or buffer it with some rag and tape and lets go for a ride to prove to him its not the damn skid plate. Sure enough we go for another ride and it does the same rattle. He finally admits it's the belt on the power steering goes to look it up and its not covered by CPO. What a surprise. This is only after he sees my cat exhaust and intercooler not to mention all my upgraded hoses and grounding in the engine bay with the VTDA... whatever at least I know its not the suspension and I can install my KW and Kmac this weekend.

So now I'm at 45500 miles do I just wait to do that belt with the timing belt and water pump service??
Old 04-11-2006, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ahhhh yes...morons are us......sad.....
Old 04-11-2006, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why was he a moron?

all of his observations were valid. And it seemed like he took the time and effort to diagnose your problem.

Calling people "morons" is not usually the best way to build a good relationship with a dealer. Dealers are faced daily with abusive customers who are ready to fly off the handle at a moment's notice, customers who do not take the time to read the owner's manual, and customers who know nothing about cars telling them what they think is wrong.

It is generally better to work WITH a dealer and not come in swinging.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well...

Its not that he was a moron but the things he was trying to say it was were definetly not the cause. I think he was testing me to see my knowledge because if I were one of those people with no knowledge went into the dealership then would have accepted his reason for the tap. I think my patience and persistence paid off. I kept telling him it was the pump until he finally acknowledged it was. I just think some of his excuses for the noise were amusing. Blaming non moving parts for a tapping...lol. I have a very good relationship with my dealership like you said its important. 2 of the techs are my friends and the service write gave me his personal cell if i have any problems to call him directly.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree totaly,wth what you say,but unfortunately

that is always NOT the case........as in my experience,some service mngers,that Ive had to deal wth,will do whatever it takes to squeeze an extra dollar out of you,or blame a problem that you have on some"mod" that they say caused the problem......look at the other side as well........
Old 04-11-2006, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i agree with all of you in certain aspects.

I think it really depends on the dealer. If you have a found a dealer that always tries to work things out with you, you are the lucky one. In that sense, it is very important that you try to maintain a good relationship with your dealer (and the mechanics at your dealer).

But on the other hand, i find most of dealers and people there to be dishonest, and money-driven( excuse my biased opinion but they come from my experiences with dealers).

Most mechanics don't seem to know much and they seem to be 2nd-ranked mechanics compared to some independent certified mechanics or shops. If you don't know much about your car, you might be taken advantage of your ignorance at the dealer.

again, it could be my biased opinion but I had to fight for my rights and services at the dealer many times.